Drive-in Theatres

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Drive ins? Wow. You might have some success if you hunt at a drive in where folks gathered outside their cars, maybe spread a blanket, to watch the films. Otherwise I would not think so. A lot of things got lost at drive ins, many of them inside the car, namely the backseat but what got lost back there was not recoverable. When it was gone, it was gone. You could check out the refreshment stand area. You might find some odd change there but I do not suspect it would be a real hot spot.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you will need a tiny coil & a hand pick.

The ground will be Packed hard from Thousands of Vehicles.

In early years Wires were buried & went to the speakers.

& Everyone threw their Beer can Tabs Etc out the windows.

Best spot in front of the Screen, most had Kiddy Play Sets
so parents could keep an eye on their Kids

& Around the concession stand.

Tried hunting one in the early 80's
wrong Coil, too big, & too hard digging.

Owner had a trailer sitting where the Swings were so :dontknow:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day, the 2 drive-ins that I went to as a kid had playgrounds right up front under the screen. I would think that would be the place to detect, if yours are similar.

EDIT- or what jeff said. :thumbsup:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
garrettman said:
Thanks for the advice. I will try there again.

Just remember Teens Had the Last Few Rows.

Lost Alot but also Littered even more.

Front was Parents who were there to
actually watch the movie.

More adult Less Trash Thrown.

But Still threw Beer can tabs.
& Bottle Caps before that

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ticket booth would also be Worthwhile.

Imagine Teens Pooling Change to get in,
& so wound up, while Entering & Handing it
out the window & dropping some
at dusk.

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
garrettman said:
Has anyone had any luck detecting in old drive-in theatres. I have tried a couple now and not had any luck yet, but i am still hopeful. I am wondering if the coins are just deeper since most of them have been closed since the 80's.

HEY FINDING A DRIVE IN THEATER NOWADAYS IS A TREASURE IN ITSELF

Only know of one still open and operating(since 1950's ) thats in Johnstown Pa.....

FCK

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember there used to be a drive in over by Seattle somewhere, can't remember the name, but they also used it for swap meets, so if you find one that's been used alot, go for it, you never know!!!! :thumbsup:

S

stefen

oldcoon said:
Drive ins? Wow. You might have some success if you hunt at a drive in where folks gathered outside their cars, maybe spread a blanket, to watch the films. Otherwise I would not think so. A lot of things got lost at drive ins, many of them inside the car, namely the backseat but what got lost back there was not recoverable. When it was gone, it was gone. You could check out the refreshment stand area. You might find some odd change there but I do not suspect it would be a real hot spot.

A lot was lost in the back seat of pop's old chevy and it wasn't coins and probably wasn't clad either :thumbsup:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
garrettman said:
Has anyone had any luck detecting in old drive-in theatres. I have tried a couple now and not had any luck yet, but i am still hopeful. I am wondering if the coins are just deeper since most of them have been closed since the 80's.

Your machine is not built for drive ins.

Anybody that isn't having luck at drive ins is simply doing something wrong or using the wrong machine.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
garrettman said:

Your machine is not built for drive ins.

Anybody that isn't having luck at drive ins is simply doing something wrong or using the wrong machine.
I hear you there,wrong detector for the job.

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Your detector is fine for Drive In's...not the best by any means, but perfectly capable. Notch out everything below a dime and you'll be good to go.

I've had decent success with my Ace 250 at our local Drive In (the pic below is from my spot and is pretty typical of the entire several acres), finding many silver coins. Pulltabs are plentiful, in some places a pulltab every couple of inches, and this certainly masks some coins, but there were plenty that had enough seperation between targets I notched out to still let me have a ball.

Have fun and don't get discouraged.

MP

Attachments

• July 12 2009 006.jpg
    July 12 2009 006.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 179

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread