mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are talking about like they do on TV. I have never seen one around here like that. Here in Ohio they will cut the locks off bring everything out side and sell it piece by piece.....Matt

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
There was at least one decent thread about it on here not long ago. If you were a charter member you could search for it quick, but ya not, so you'll have to trawl the bottom and last page of this forum, the "everything else" forum and maybe others as i can't remember where it was sorry.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano Sverige said:
There was at least one decent thread about it on here not long ago. If you were a charter member you could search for it quick, but ya not, so you'll have to trawl the bottom and last page of this forum, the "everything else" forum and maybe others as i can't remember where it was sorry.

Or they could just do a google search for free.

Just type in treasurenet and whatever you want to search for. Here are the first 5 links that popped up for me on storage units:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=286176.0
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=372112.0
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=373589.0
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=368220.0
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=220337.0

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Just be careful if you venture into this storage unit game.

In our area, one auctioneer rents empty units, and fills them with $1 boxes and all sorts of junk that no one wants to buy, like used water beds, stained and destroyed furniture, old tires, stained bedding, broken appliances, etc.

The game is that these are not real storage units, even though he advertises them as such. If you read the wording in the ads...it is pretty clever how they word it, and there are NEVER any legal advertisements stating that the named people have SU that will be sold at auction for unpaid bills. It is required in our state to run those legal ads, but this auctioneer never does. Isn't that pretty funny?

He runs the same scam at about 4 different facilities, and people fall for it every day.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I should add that there are legit auctions for SU's. They happen every day. I've seen some gooood stuff come out of SU's.

Also, be careful of the storage units that have been filled with the stuff that other people have thrown in the dumpster. The smart SU companies watch their dumpster everyday, and put anything usable in one empty unit, which they sell at the next auction.

You need to go to several auctions to get a 'feel' for the business. There are some killer units out there with tremendous potential. Wade slowly in to the business instead of jumping with both feet into unknown water!!!!

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
lonesomebob said:
Is there anything on Tnet about storage auctions, tips,advice how to, nono's things to think about ???? Never been to one. Bob
Bob, go to auctionzip.com, type in your zipcode and go to the tab for storage auctions....it has a listing for all the auctions in your area. I've been to a few, bring money. Sometimes it works out, but if you are looking for the big scores that you see on TV, I would just keep watching tv.....goat

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the game of buying them for about 5 years and made out really well. First thing you need is space to put all your items in owners of them usually require everything moved within 24 hours. A cleaning deposit of $50.00 is usually required which you get back once the unit is cleaned out. You want to look for neat units the ones that look like somebody cared when putting there stuff in there. Beware if the ones that look ramsacked like the owner has gone back numerous times pulling stuff out. Start off slow it's cash only when you buy them. I never did like the ones where they pull it all out and then peace it out. I liked to buy whole units. They lift the door you see what you can see from the door then you bid on what you see. To make decent money you have to buy in quanity or quality. My best money maker was comic book store that put all there comics and toys in a unit. Paid $500 for the unit and sold it for 14k total. Now it's not like this all the time however but you can get lucky. Have also bought a unit that had 4 CC Morgan dollars issued from the goverment in the mid 70's paid $45.00 for that unit. Good luck its addictive no doubt.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only no-no I could think of is
Don't throw away Peoples Personal Photo Albums,
Movies, etc.

Try to return them

These items have no Value to anyone but the
original owner anyway.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Only no-no I could think of is
Don't throw away Peoples Personal Photo Albums,
Movies, etc.

Try to return them

These items have no Value to anyone but the
original owner anyway.
These items should be turned in to the facility manager since they have the contact info on the former renter of the unit, some places will accept them and make an effort to return them, some won't. At least notify the facility so they know you have them.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dingdong said:
stick to the LOTTO better odds of makin $$$$$$$$$$ they never show the bad units full of paint cans tires shingles rocks and no value junk that u have to pay to dump. one guy in the rubbish field also owened storeage place made big $$$ never paid to dump just put the rubbish in rooms.then put old boxes and wroted old silverware lead glasses worked like a charm just one mans opinion .dingdong
That's why you bid on only what you see, period. A box is a box is a box.

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
I've done one and they do it like in the show "Storage Wars" here in the Roanoke area. No go in, no touch, just look. I got one for $185 and within the week had sold the contents for $425.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread