Metal Detecting Law ?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    us
    Jan 2007
    Beach Hunter ID 300
    3 times

Metal Detecting Law ?

Hi,, all you Hunter, I an Moving to some were in FL, I had with New York ! Question Do you need a Lic/permit , To go metal Detecting in Fl. Thanks AKA Joe

us
    Feb 2011
    Gladstone, MI
    Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
    205 times
    Coinshooting

Re: Metal Detecting Law ?

I don't think any state issues licenses for detecting, I imagine it's on a city level.
    Why do they call it "Taking a dump" when you're actually leaving one?

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29815 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

No state permits required, only a couple cities require one, can't tell you which, and some county parks require one, ask at the entrance. Best advice is if there isn't a sign telling you no detecting, then hunt it with proper digging etiquette..... Once you start asking permission when there are no signs telling you not to detect, you open it up to someone's interpretation of what is legal and they may not even have the right to tell you....

State Parks are off limits, some state parks on the beach do allow it on the beach, with the ranger's permission, ask before yoyu hunt there...All National parks are off limits..
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Mar 2009
    Riverview Florida
    F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
    302 times
    Banner Finds (1)

You do know that we already answered this for you in your other post right?
    Sometime in the future...people will look back at our time and realize that the main two contributors to our demise were participation trophies, and tenured professors.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    22746 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Farscape
    I don't think any state issues licenses for detecting, I imagine it's on a city level.
    New York State Beach/Park Metal Detecting Permit $40 annually
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nyspermit326.jpg 
Views:	5335 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	521912  

us
    Sep 2010
    southeast PA
    CTX3030
    70 times

i like rule number 5..........NOT
    down and dirty

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29815 times

Quote Originally Posted by dogpound
    i like rule number 5..........NOT
    Easy to fix, I never find anything worth anything.....

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Mar 2011
    So. Cal
    E-Trac, Explorer SE Pro, DFX

I found this on the U.S. Forest Service website. I have this laminated and keep it with me. The one time I was stopped, the forest ranger told me after reading it, that he was unaware of these rules. And off detecting I went. Chris

http://www.fs.fed.us/geology/For%20W...%20Forests.pdf

us
    Apr 2011
    Redding, CA
    MXT Pro
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by grover868
    I found this on the U.S. Forest Service website. I have this laminated and keep it with me. The one time I was stopped, the forest ranger told me after reading it, that he was unaware of these rules. And off detecting I went. Chris

Thanks for the link, that could be a very good thing to carry with you, glad it stated the codes by number. Makes it easier to verify.

But the link at the bottom www.passportintime.com really got my attention. Have you, or anyone else followed up on this and went on one of these runs? I see several in my area for this summer all looking for experience with a metal detector. Sounds like a lot of fun. And benifical to the history of the area.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    29815 times

Thanks for posting the link, I also plan to print a copy and laminate it for my use....

2nd Amendment

USAF 1967-1971

No Expiration Date!

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10056 times
    Banner Finds (4)

grover, thanx for the link. The CA BLM land (which is federal) also has similar wording, which effectively oks detecting, so long as you're not snooping in obvious historic monuments.

Too many times, we read on forums that all federal land is off-limits, but as you can see, this is not the case. And heck, we never find anything over 50 yrs. old anyhow, RIGHT? (my math never was too good, shucks )

us
    Mar 2011
    So. Cal
    E-Trac, Explorer SE Pro, DFX

I never find anything over 50 years old. Do you Tom? Heck, I only have an SE Pro, and as we all know, it does not find anything of value. Chris

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    10056 times
    Banner Finds (4)

Absolutely right Chris. I'm only finding modern clad. How about you? Or heck, I'm just looking for the boyscout ring my dad lost here when he was a kid. But archaeological artifacts? Nah

us
    Mar 2011
    1 times

I called our US Forestry service in Texas this morning and they told me it is illegal to metal detect. I asked if I could e-mail this to them three times before they would give me an e-mail address. I did not want to get in an argument so I will contact some higher ups later about it.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    10056 times
    Banner Finds (4)

Hogman, I'm a little confused: If you already knew it was ok to detect national forest service land (per the link which you already had), then why did you call to ask if you could? Why not just print this out, and go? If someone had a question, you merely show it to them (I highly doubt anyone would even pay second mind to you though). Your situation is just one more case of "no one cares, till you ask". Heck, if I had a "yes", I wouldn't keep pushing the issue, and looking for even more sanctions. So I'm not sure why you would ask more?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links