Anyone recently purchased a Detector through Craigslist?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been trying to sell one on CL. I have had about 10 offers, of which 5 were decent offers. Unforunately, none of the 5 people responded after making the initial offer. The curse of Craigslist...

nach0s

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Ive bought 2 off ebay. Gotten pretty good deals. Both were used, but lightly.

I think Ive saved 30-35% off retail new price.

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
I bought 2 off craigslist
a whites beach hunter ID , they guy pawned it after he put the ad in cause he needed money bad.

I took him to the pawn shop and paid the pawn ticket $121 and gave him $80 as we walked out the door.

I knew the pawn shop checked to make sure things were in working order before they would accept it so I wasn't to worried about getting it out of pawn.

He was so thankful he tossed in 2 gator diggers, belt w/bags and a couple other things and gave me a lesson on how to use it.

The BHID works GREAT and I am happy to only of paid $201 for it.

I did get the mans name, address and a signed receipt just in case it was stolen. He did know a lot about the detector and metaldetecting in general so I was not to worried about it.

Second one was a Omega 8000, In traded a pistol for it and got the guys information and made him sign a receipt

I have called about several others but the people did not know much about them and I was afraid to buy them

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought several off of craigslist and have had some real good luck with it. ALot of people get one and not put in the time to learn it and it goes into the closet. I got my first MXT from a guy off of craigslist and the only reason he was getting rid of it was because he did not have any luck getting permission to detect. You can get some good deals if you watch. I have got several White machines including 2 Whites classic ID's, 6000 DI PRO XL, a minelab sovereign elite, garrett gta 500, ace 250 and several more. If I see a deal I do not haggle with people I just go get them. For the most part there are alot of bounty hunters it seems because alot of the chain stores carried them at one time(wish the stores still carried them as it gave me something to do while I was waiting on the sweety!) Good luck, Tim

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to find the one the wife is selling the detector her ex left behind, lol.

A few weeks back a lady placed and ad (NJ-CL), for a Whites TM-808 she purchased for her husband and he never used it, she was asking $200. I should of took a ride since I could have flipped it on Ebay for $500. but didn't move on it. The problem with CL is you need to move quick, When you reply to and add give a phone number(even if you get a cheap pay-as-u-go cell phone), can't tell you how many people that I bought from told me they responded to me first because I left a number.
Leaving a number tells them your serious and makes the deal that much easier. I been making it a habit to check for metal detectors on there daily in the areas within a 2hr ride. True people selling sometimes don't respond back, that means it's sold and they were to lazy to take the add down.
Many people are also paranoid after the talks of the Craigslist Killer, some wierdo that was using it to meet women and hurting them.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
They get some great deals on there. Usually it's people with treasure hunting fever, and they purchase it and don't find anything good on the first hunt, or don't know how to use it, and end up selling it cheap.

Also many people have them sitting around the house not being used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread