Garrett Detectors

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Many brands, Magnetometer, GPR, Side Scan, etc.
Over the years I've used many, many detector brands and tested many others as field editor for Jess Publishing. They would often send me a half dozen machines for "product testing". I personally used Garrett detectors in the field from the time they produced the old grey BFO.
You name a brand, I've most likely used it, even the little Roth detector. I never had a problem with Garrett's service department. Often Bob Podhrasky would just give me a new detector, whenever a problem came up... On the other hand I've had other well known companies not return a detector that I sent in for repair or even answer my letters. My detector being lost forever. And others that sent a detector back to me in the same broken condition.
That's not to say that all things have been rosy with the Garrett company, that's why I started manufacturing my own... But all in all I can't complain about Garrett or their service. There are many brands out there, it's people's right to use whatever brand they want and not "bad mouth" the others, after all some people like oranges and others apples, some both, to each their own...
Richard

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I second that! (my ACE350 works good enough for me to find goodies!!!) and it's good enough till I save up for a Minelab ETRAC! :notworthy:

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i've been garrett loyal for the past 18 yrs and never had any problems with their customer service......i guess thats why i stay loyal customer

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Richard Ray said:
Over the years I've used many, many detector brands and tested many others as field editor for Jess Publishing. They would often send me a half dozen machines for "product testing". I personally used Garrett detectors in the field from the time they produced the old grey BFO.
You name a brand, I've most likely used it, even the little Roth detector. I never had a problem with Garrett's service department. Often Bob Podhrasky would just give me a new detector, whenever a problem came up... On the other hand I've had other well known companies not return a detector that I sent in for repair or even answer my letters. My detector being lost forever. And others that sent a detector back to me in the same broken condition.
That's not to say that all things have been rosy with the Garrett company, that's why I started manufacturing my own... But all in all I can't complain about Garrett or their service. There are many brands out there, it's people's right to use whatever brand they want and not "bad mouth" the others, after all some people like oranges and others apples, some both, to each their own...
Richard

Richard, your post really hits home with me. Like many, many detectorists, I started with a Garrett machine and was forever hooked! You are so spot on with your observations - BRAVO! Detectors are like women - each one has a little trick that it does that you just can't live without; but, when you get angry at it because it's chattering too much and tell it to fix the problem, sometimes it gets fixed - most times it just stays chatty! LOL- Sorry, I'm here all week! Anyway, Great Post Mr. Ray!

OP
OP
Richard Ray

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Terry:
Thanks for the compliment, that's how I feel. There are/were some very cheap brands out there that I don't even feel they are "detectors", just "toys" but they still don't deserve being cut down... Just my opinion..
Richard

eboy1960

Mar 2, 2009
indianapolis indiana
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro/teknetics 6000
you hit the nail on the head on that one,,i also love garrett an used others,but to each his own,,so everyone enjoy the hobby,,,

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with you Richard. :icon_thumleft:

I used to involve myself in the "which detector is best" arguments. The whole thing seems silly now.

Like you say, its a matter of choice.

Me, I've come to love Tesoro's. But does that mean I need to put down another brand? Of course not.

Most of the detectors offered by the name brand manufacturers are good machines. Just depends on the style and preferences of the user as to which is best for them.

And sometimes you have to go through several before you find the right one. I know that's what happened to me.

OP
OP
Richard Ray

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Smudge said:
I'm with you Richard. :icon_thumleft:

I used to involve myself in the "which detector is best" arguments. The whole thing seems silly now.

Like you say, its a matter of choice.

Me, I've come to love Tesoro's. But does that mean I need to put down another brand? Of course not.

Most of the detectors offered by the name brand manufacturers are good machines. Just depends on the style and preferences of the user as to which is best for them.

And sometimes you have to go through several before you find the right one. I know that's what happened to me.
Also depends on what you are using the detector for, as to what type machine you apply. Many projects required a magnetometer rather than a standard detector. The type of soil you are working in, may require a different frequency, that's why I built the 6 frequency detector in 1982 or so.. Different needs, different applications... Taught the "halo" effect and "negative ion washout" theory in 1983 to my college class, reverse discrimination in 1976 and many other theories...
Richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread