metal detecting with tendonitis elbow???

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I started weight lifting a few months back, ended up tearing up my elbows doing curls with heavy weights (a little too much too soon!)

-I put weight lifting on the back burner and started metal detecting with my Ace 350 a few months ago when I first bought my MD- I started about spring time. I can say that I did go out and spend hours on end out swinging a coil / 5-6 hours at a time, and I'd come back with tight legs, from bending and digging!)- at first I used my elbow more then my whole arm for detecting. (I also started with a heavy bounty hunter and upgraded to an Ace 350.) My arm hurt a little from swinging the heavier BH. :dontknow: I figured I was just getting used to doing it...

a month ago my Dr recommended some rest and steroids - I took them and felt a little better, but after going out these past few weekends I talked another Doc at work -and he said that I should look in to cortizone injections- since I might have really messed up my tendons from lifting then MDing. (I could see lifting, then going and MDing but I never detected on my left side- so I'm going to blame lifting) he was like you get 2 chances with the shots- so it's best to just get it done sooner then later. seems at 40 your body stops fixing damage as quick to tendons, like it does when your a younger lad (still - shots don't sound like fun to me!)

last week I also stopped in on my chiropractor and he did his normal crunching work- he suggested wearing a velcro arm band (and he showed me how to put it on/ and recommended having it on while I'm using my arm to either MD or what not.) I'm wearing it now, and it seems to help keep my arm muscles turned just enough to keep the stress off the tendon. less stress meaning less pain.

today my friend at work told me he had issues with tendonitis and the velcro arm band worked great for him, he stated that you have to wear it for a few months. He said he's been pain free for over 2-3 years now, but it was a struggle. I was like months, I was hoping for a few weeks!!!! ug.

anyhow- I'm not asking for medical advice I'm asking about metal detecting advice- how can I keep doing this fun hobby with this injury?
I read some place about a way to strap the MD to a shoulder and swing ....does anyone know if that would work for someone with issues with tendonitis? I haven't looked at the advertisers on here yet- as I wanted to ask what other people with pain have done to keep playing??? I recall seeing slings or something similar that might be helpful, but I might be wrong...

anyhow any ideas on this stuff would be cool. I'm just looking for alternatives so I can keep doing something I enjoy!

Thanks all!

~Fitzy in Pa

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Call a dealer and ask about 'The Swingy Thingy'.
This has helped my arthritis,takes about two weeks.
Take golden raisens and cover them with gin.The next day eat about 10 of them and every day thereafter.When it gets low,just put more raisens in.Goodluck.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have them used a pair of suspenders. Hook them to the back of your pants bring them over and wrap around detector box and they keep the weight off your arm and easy to swing......Matt

nvchris

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2008
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Try a hipstick its the absolutely best thing out there for sore arm/back/elbow

Gary66

Jul 30, 2009
Belle Vernon PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido and Conquistador. Whites TR-Disc, Eagle 2 SL 90, Eagle Spectrum, XLT and M6. Garrett GTAx 1000pm, Garrett Pro Pointer. Compass XP-Pro. Fisher CZ-6A. Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Sharpshooter.
That Hipstick looks great but when you are going to dig, do you have to disconnect the bungee from the D ring every time?

Gary

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Two suggestions:

1. Swing your detector slower, for less arm stress.

2. Shorten your rod so your coil is right at your feet instead of out in front of you. This will effectively reduce the weight of your machine.

---Dan

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Consider the "Garrett Gizmo" since you have an Ace 350. I got one for my AT Pro and it really changes the feel of the machine. It's very well made and installs instantly. It takes a lot of torque off of that area where your elbow joins your forearm. I don't feel like I have to "switch arms" every 20 minutes any more.

You'll find them on eBay. I know it doesn't look like much, but sometimes great ideas have no moving parts.

OP
OP
mfitzy111

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
i ordered a $20 sling thing from Kellyco - waiting on it...and I am just too stupid to rest and go slow...I raised my coil and have been going a lot slower...it helps some. taking a break for a weekend...I did manage to find a silver mens bracelet Fri and a fake playboy bunny charm...still more places to look... :) thanks all for the info- I'll let you all know how the generic swingy thingy works out... :laughing9:

OP
OP
mfitzy111

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
ok so what I ended up getting is a chest rig that the detector attaches to with a bungy cord -the cord attaches to a collar installed below your control box, this would work on most round shafted metal detectors. I had it setup in about 5 mins, and it made the detector feel like I was carrying nothing ...weightless, so it helps on the swing...that's the good news... ;D I found a nice sterling silver pendent Friday testing out the new sling at a baseball field I've never been at before...

now the bad news is - I've been using a 6 inch blade to do the digging- I've decided after yesterady is really what's been hurting my arms... cutting plugs and dealing with 6 inch recovery's isn't too bad -but the real goodies at 8inches down are likely what is really causing issues...thanks all about the harness info, now it's time to shovel shop again...I guess I'm looking for a spade type blade, that I can stand on, and would have to be at least 8-10 inches long, anyhow - this week is going to be a rest week while waiting on the new minelab :tongue3: .... I'll be back out going slow, and taking it easy soon enough...

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel for you and your tendonitis as I got it and it flares up about 2 or 3 times a year and feels like a toothache in my arm. I got one of those arm bands and they really do help. I also take alieve and for some reason that works better for me than the other asprin or ibuprofin. Also make sure you have your detector adjusted so that your elbow is not bent and your arm is extended fully with supporting the weight of the detector with more of your wrist and forearm than your elbow and forearm. Alot of guys use their elbow and forearm to support most of the weight of their detector and I used to do the same thing until I saw an article about it in a detector magazine a few years back. It will make a big difference if your swing your detector with your arm fully extended supporting it with your wrist and forearm and you will be able to swing for longer periods of time. Tim

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a box of white raisins, (golden raisins), put then in a large container and cover with straight gin, let them sit for 7-10 days till the alcohol evaporates, eat 1 or 2 teaspoons every day......

This works, worked for me, worked for my mom on her arthritis, worked for several friends I told...It is for the inflamation which causes the pain.....

OP
OP
mfitzy111

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Tim - good call. holding your arm straight- since I have the harness thing I can swing the detector with two fingers. and I'm making strides with not bending my elbow, but some times zeroing in on targets I do it with out thinking about it. the advice given before to me was go slower, and shorten the over all length of the detector so it's closer (and that was really good advice! -I've been doing that!) I'm stoked to get home as my new minelab is waiting for me...I'll be putting the sling on the Etrac and hopefully not causing my arm more harm... in talking to my Dr about this issue I was given a few expensive choices, the cheapest was physical therapy... ah well, I'm too hooked to quit. lol. :notworthy:

the raisins and gin thing sounds interesting. its funny the doctor trying to keep a straight face about me not having any inflammation. he's a good doc, but I have to wonder about him and money...anyhow- I'm taking it easy, things will get better...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread