spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff hit it on the head, at least a 6" parameter so you can recover in an easy fashion. It is also easier to replace a larger piece without much damage to the ground.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Jeff has the point right on. The only thing I might add is make the plug at least 3" DEEP so you don't cut off the roots. This point is often overlooked. Frank

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
No matter the size of the hole you need to dig to make your recovery, always us a cloth or rag of some kind to put your dig on while digging. Once you have recovered your target put your dirt back in the hole , replace the plug and tamp it down. Scatter any remaining dirt to make the dig as invisible as possible, Always leave your ground as neat if not neater then you found it. Rick :coffee2:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
let me add if it is your First time
on a private Lawn,
& The owners are there,
but in the house,
try your best to dig with your Back
to them.

This can't be done if they are Hovering.

But it is always best if they don't see exactly
where you dug.
It is harder to see your refilled holes
if they don't know exactly where the
plug was put.

Just like a paint run you made

Sticks out like a sore Thumb to you

but is invisible to those who don't see it.

also if you end up Widening the Hole
to Excivate a Large rock that's in the way,
They don't see the operation.

No Plumbers crack though,
Unless you want to Blind them Forever.
it may be the new Cleavage for women,
but Men don't need Cleavage anywhere.
Especially if there is a Wrinkeled Eye
peeking out :wink:

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
If you create a hole the size of a car tire, there is no way to ever put it back the way it was, and it'll be destroyed and get you banned from the property.

Digging a "Plug" means you can insert one piece back in place, quick and simple.

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
once you x the item with your md try running your pinpointer across the area and usully it will spot your target then use your probe like an ice pick or all and you have your target without digging . the parks and schools will never ask you to leave because you never did a hole. hope this helps. suprdave

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I liked the post about soda can size + 3 inched deep...even in dry soil it replaces and recovers nicely. My goal is cover my tracks and remove the trash as well.

rey914v8

Mar 25, 2011
Silicon Valley
Detector(s) used
Silver umax + 12x10
what about when a Leache little Eagle is used i got one but haven't used it.can some one show me how to use to cut a plug.
Plus that soil look like you could use a spoon to cut that plug here is dry and hard. not much rain.

OhioDeb

May 16, 2011
westcentral Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went detecting today at my daughter's house in Greenville, Ohio. She lives almost downtown. Boy did I tear up her yard for 2 Lincoln Memorials! :o OhioDeb

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
The older TR, then VLF Discriminator detectors were much easier to get a good tight target pinpoint unlike these newer units with the DD coils. You could break the signals down to a area no more then 3 inch's in diameter and using a good probe you could find your target easily, many times just a matter of prying it out of the ground.

The newer machines will find targets much deeper and they can find much smaller targets much deeper as well making it harder to pinpoint what you have found. With out a good pinpointer you are in a lot of trouble finding your targets.

When I first purchased my E-Trac I was warned of this problem by the dealer, 40 some odd years of hunting with out the need for a pinpointer made me feel I could get along with out it. Well nine months later I now own two pinpointers and wouldn't be caught dead with out one. Yes old dogs do learn new tricks.

I learned to pinpoint from at least two different directions. I would then cut a plug 4 to 6 in diameter, and at least 4 to 6 inch's deep. I would fold it back. Next I would use my pinpointer to locate the target in the hole. (many times it would still be in the side wall) even though I made a effort to pinpoint it as tight as possible. This will make finding the target much easier without taring up the ground any more then is absolutely necessary. Always use a cloth or rag to put your dirt you remove from the ground during recovery. When you have your target pour the dirt back in the hole and replace the plug, tamp it down and fan out any loose dirt to make it look as neat as possible.

Parks and public property is critical to making clean recoveries but private property is evan more so. Put the extra effort into good clean recoveries, you won't be sorry.

Rick :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread