Coin cleaning

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
If you are using a tumbler, do pennies separately. Nickels, dimes, quarters and halfs can be tumbled together.
I've never done it, but it sounds like the other coins will take on a pinkish hue from the cents, if tumbled together.

OP
OP
playdan1

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
mick56 said:
If you are using a tumbler, do pennies separately. Nickels, dimes, quarters and halfs can be tumbled together.
I've never done it, but it sounds like the other coins will take on a pinkish hue from the cents, if tumbled together.

No, i'm not using a tumbler. I suppose I could get one if need be. I just want to find an easier way of cleaning clad so it is easier to re-circulate. Banks won't take most of them and i've found most cashiers won't take them either unless they seem like they don't really care about the position they hold where they work. And machines, forget it.

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use a little sand gravel and dawn soap with a little water and find yourself an irregular shaped plastic bottle stick an electric drill to get it to spin slow and it will clean your coins very well . hope this helps and by the i sure like your avatar. suprdave

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
You will need to buy or build a tumbler to clean any amount of coins. Here's one I used for a few years till I found a used Lortone at a garage sale.

Attachments

• tumbler.jpg
    tumbler.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 177
  • tumbler.jpg
    tumbler.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 167

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wash mine with water. My bank runs them through the machine with a smile and nice attitude. Half of my coins are black, they are discolored but not dirty.

OP
OP
playdan1

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
suprdave said:
i use a little sand gravel and dawn soap with a little water and find yourself an irregular shaped plastic bottle stick an electric drill to get it to spin slow and it will clean your coins very well . hope this helps and by the i sure like your avatar. suprdave

LOL thanks, I didn't have much of a selection of unique avvys

OP
OP
playdan1

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
So basically it all boils down to motion. Either tumbling or spinning, albeit slowly? I can't just stick them in a tupperware container with hydrogen peroxide and let them sit overnight, right?

RvaDiggn

Jun 13, 2011
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x, F2 Nautlius DMC IIb
Just a quick question for those who tumble coins, When you find a lets say clad dime that is red from being in the ground, does tumbling them bring back their luster so you can spend them? Lot of the foreigner store owners around here will not take my dug money, lol I guess they thing its fake.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
True,don't clean copper pennies before 1982, or any silver or gold. You can clean clad coins with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda. Make a paste out of it and use a soft toothbrush. Good luck. rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread