What placed should i be looking to hunt?

MD'ing Zombie

May 29, 2011
Altoona PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
MD'ing Zombie said:
As im new to this. what kinda places should i be looking to hunt in? I know research is Key but i wanted to know, like parks, schools....all that in a big town...not city...what should i be looking for? Most of my state parks wont let me do anything there till fall. so im looking for ideas here.

Thanks everyone!!

Welcome to MD'ing and T-Net!! Look for old houses and see if you can get the landowners permission to hunt. Your right though research is the key. Spend some time at the local library. Look at old newspapers and see where gatherings used to be or where old houses used to sit. Believe it or not, but sometimes the best places to hunt is your own yard! Best the luck to you and make sure you post your finds!! :icon_thumright:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being that summer is here, would be a good time to hit the old school yards. Lots of interesting stuff up your way.
Since you're in Pa. also, I'd suggest using PennPilot. They have aerial photos from back in the 1930's or so. Also, Myhistorical topos....again...it'll show you some of the places from back in the 1920's or so.

Try typing Altoona into Wikipedia and see the history and links that come up.
Check thru the postings in the Pa. forum for postcards, maps, etc.

Water levels will drop some day...maybe you can find some old swimming holes.

If you hit parks on these scorcher days, try to stick to the shady areas to minimize lawn damage.

With brush and weeds growning, old farm fields could be a challenge but with a little work, could pan out.

Welcome to tnet.

Al

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
MDZ,

I'm also from PA - north eastern PA- my best advice (even tho I'm a newbe also) is try and go to where people have been....
check out this pic - its from an old rail station in town where I live now...

http://www.west2k.com/papix/carbondaledandh.jpg

really old coins mean really old people places- so far the local parks for me have all been built up in the 70s- so mostly new coins come from them- my only silver so far was a 1906 barber dime that I found in the sand - probably from some place older and transported in...who knows...

what county are you in? Altoona? is that huntington? heres an 1895 map for the rails back in the day...check the site -as I'm not sure of your local area.
http://www.west2k.com/pastations/huntingdon.shtml

anyhow welcome to Tnet! HH man.

~Fitzy

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet and start at parks and schools then get
permission to detect old homesites and old farms in your area.
But always get PERMISSION when you are detecting PRIVATE PROPERTY
and if possible, get it in writing.

Good luck !!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread