New and clueless

Spirtgold

Greenie
Jun 18, 2011
Hi everyone, I'm very new to this treasure hunting stuff, but it looks like I'm at the right place to learn! I've got a chance to buy a used Discovery 3000 for $40.00 and I think I'm going to go for it as my budget won't allow for a new detector right now. Does anyone here use this Discovery detector? I'm mostly going to search beaches, but will be open to other venues also. Thanks for all the great information here!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spirtgold said:
Hi everyone, I'm very new to this treasure hunting stuff, but it looks like I'm at the right place to learn! I've got a chance to buy a used Discovery 3000 for $40.00 and I think I'm going to go for it as my budget won't allow for a new detector right now. Does anyone here use this Discovery detector? I'm mostly going to search beaches, but will be open to other venues also. Thanks for all the great information here!

Hello and Welcome! You are in trouble now SG! Once bitten, there is no known cure! You'll need a good SAND SCOOP for the beach, so make sure you budget for that. Once you are into it you will want to upgrade your machine. You can get a dry sand machine for under $200 (Garrett and Tesoro come to mind) that will give you a lot better chance at success on the beach or in the dirt. Did I say dirt? Now you will need a digger tool to! :laughing7: Get that machine and start swinging, you WILL be smiling! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

Spirtgold

Greenie
Jun 18, 2011
Thanks Terrry,
I was afraid you were going to say something like that. I've kinda already had the bug from hunting with my Dad years ago, but never took the leap and purchased my own detector. I ended up hunting with a camera instead. But, for some unknown reason (my Dad has something to do with it again) I do want to start it back up again. I stayed up until 2 AM this morning reading tips and such here and elsewhere on the internet....so, yep!

Yes, I sure will want to upgrade ASAP...but have to take baby steps first. I was reading up on the Garrett 350, looks like a very decent beginner detector.

squintay

Jan 3, 2011
hi my name is brad and i was given a garrett s-2 and im trying to tune it and not being succesful. i found instructions but im a litle confused when it comes to getting it to stop buzzing if its too high off the ground or get it to buzz unless im right ontop of the object im trying to find to tune it in. any suggestions or tip r welcome
brad

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
My first detectorist was a Discovery from Radio Shack. While it was a dinosaur it did work. Buy it, use it, and learn from it. Once your ready move into the $150 - $250 range detectors.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 3000 is supposed to be good on gold. I don,t know how well it works at the beach. Black sand or wet sand can wreak havoc on the metal detector. Don,t go near the water unless the coil is sealed and keep out of the waves as this is not a water proof detector. You can and will find things with this and most detectors. Better finds are generally made in the wet sand at low tide out to chest high, up to the high tide mark. For this you need a water detector. Don,t forget that a lot of parks have sandy play areas with the same easy digging. Check the regs and if it is not prohibitted, go for it.

Ed D.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I remember the 3000 is similar to the Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter. There is nothing wrong with using this unit until you can upgrade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread