Research help

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So my dad (detecting partner) and I are in the process of researching new locations close to home to metal detect. So far just by asking around we have a few places in mind (house remains, old B&B, completely intact old one-room schoolhouse). We will hopefully be following up on those tomorrow. But we are having a hard time researching online. What do you all suggest are the best methods/places to start? We have two local libraries, but don't really know where to start in there. I want to try to access records of where old schools used to be along with ball fields, amusement parks, etc. but again I don't really know where to look at. Also, a few local (active) schools around here are somewhat old, so how would we get permission to hunt those? County board of education? Or just the principle?

Any tips would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,
RR

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
Each Section 16 of a township was given to the school district. Section 16 is close to being the center of the township so many schools were built there. You can use Google Earth and place a PLSS grid over it to find Section 16. Most of USA was surveyed off using the Public Land Survey System. The original 13 colonies and Texas doesn't use the grid. There may be other parts of the country that are not surveyed in this manner also but most places are.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in White Plains, NY, I was very interested in looking for artifacts from the Battle of White Plains, during the Revolutionary War. I went to our main library, and talked to the librarian, who turned me on to a "secret" room that contained all the neat stuff, like old maps and hand-written records, yadda-yadda-yadda. She also turned me on the the local historical society, where I made even more connections. Online searches will only take you so far. Hyper-local, that is the key to research in my never-humble opinion. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Redneckin Rookie said:
So my dad (detecting partner) and I are in the process of researching new locations close to home to metal detect. So far just by asking around we have a few places in mind (house remains, old B&B, completely intact old one-room schoolhouse). We will hopefully be following up on those tomorrow. But we are having a hard time researching online. What do you all suggest are the best methods/places to start? We have two local libraries, but don't really know where to start in there. I want to try to access records of where old schools used to be along with ball fields, amusement parks, etc. but again I don't really know where to look at. Also, a few local (active) schools around here are somewhat old, so how would we get permission to hunt those? County board of education? Or just the principle?

Any tips would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,
RR

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Contact your library for the name and number of the local historian. If you volunteer to share images and locations of your items with him/her, (after you have thoroughly searched out the recommended sites) you may get a warmer reception.
Don.....

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as where to go in your town,I'd first go to the town hall and ask if there is any ordinance against MDing.If not, any public property is fair game,as fair as schools go it's better if you wait for the kids to go home.That should leave a LOT open.Best of luck in your research.Start with the Libraian and tell her what you want to know,She'll know where to steer you.Don't over look the posibility that these places have in most likely hit ,but cheer up mate NOBODY EVER GETS IT ALL.May be slim pickens aint like it was back in the early 70's Sure wish it was though,them was some GOOD times for sure!Happy Fathers Day to your hunting partner.Father & Son team--------So very nice to hear.GOD BLESS YOUNS,Chris HH

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to your libary and look up the old maps from around the 1900,s these will show you where the old schools and churches was.....Matt

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
worldtalker said:
As far as where to go in your town,I'd first go to the town hall and ask if there is any ordinance against MDing.If not, any public property is fair game,as fair as schools go it's better if you wait for the kids to go home.That should leave a LOT open.Best of luck in your research.Start with the Libraian and tell her what you want to know,She'll know where to steer you.Don't over look the posibility that these places have in most likely hit ,but cheer up mate NOBODY EVER GETS IT ALL.May be slim pickens aint like it was back in the early 70's Sure wish it was though,them was some GOOD times for sure!Happy Fathers Day to your hunting partner.Father & Son team--------So very nice to hear.GOD BLESS YOUNS,Chris HH
wikipedia your town,I just did for my town WWWOOOWWW! All the OLD history and THEN some.Thank you LORD for having me look at this boys post.Some of the BLESSING come to you and your Dad.

OP
OP
Shady Digger

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks guys! i'll definitely be looking into the town hall/library and local historian. we did get permission from the innkeeper of a Bed & Breakfast to metal detect around the property. he says he's hunted it before with no luck, but that just sounds like a challenge to me :thumbsup: haha the building was built in 1897 as a house, but then was used as a temporary hospital for patients traveling long distance for treatment. but the really cool thing is that he traced the property deed all the way back to 1787! and that the area itself was surveyed by none other than George Washington! he said the house sits on the spot or close to the spot where the other house did back in 1787. we are going to head up there in a bit (hopefully) and take a look around and maybe do some hunting. wish us luck!

thanks again,

RR

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure wish I was goin with you boys!!!!May that BLESSING be on your hunting always.Old G.W. was up this way back in 1775-1776.They marched through my town,I want to find out if they had any encampments here.

OP
OP
Shady Digger

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well, we went up there and got a short tour of the place. we didn't find anything but some old rusted, broken pieces of farming tools, 2 lincoln pennies and some modern bullets. he said there used to be 3 homesteads somewhere on the property and a civil war encampment, but he doesn't know the exact location. we are going to go back another day and see what we can dig up

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As for the second part of your initial question (schools), world-talker is right: If there's no city-wide prohibition on detecting public locations, then no permission would be needed. Just go after 5pm, when students and staff are long gone for the day, so as not be an "eye-sore" (since we're in an odd-hobby that draws stares ::))

If you're not sure if there's rules, see if your city or county has a web-site home page. Find local laws, rules, ordinances, etc.... Do a key-word search on variations of "metal detectors", etc... If it is silent on the issue, well then so be it! :tongue3:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
redneckin rookie: I fear you are making a common mistake, that a lot of people have made, when looking at that site inn your link, or a similar section that the FMDAC's website has (a list of state-by-state laws). And this is the mistake:

Those state-level laws only apply to state-level land. Ie.: state owned parks or state-owned schools, etc... They have nothing to do with county, city, private, federal, etc.... lands.

And to be honest with you, a lot of those dire sounding state levels laws, may not have much in-field application. For example: if you were to look at the CA section of that same website you linked, it too would have dire sounding rules for State-of-CA owned parks. And those rules *may* applied to some land parks (especially the obvious historical monument type locations anyhow). Yet state-of-CA owned beaches here are detected routinely, and no one's ever cared. There's no technical reason why the rules that govern the in-land parks, wouldn't also apply to the state run beaches. But the reality is, no one's ever cared. This is only an example of CA and not your W. Virginia. But it's to illustrate the links like that, that ....... sometimes you gotta simply know where to avoid, and other places no one cares.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Connecticut and seeking information on ghost towns and bury treasure in my state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread