magnet hunting

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
OutBack Duo said:
I just sent my wife to Harbor Freight to purchase me one. Yesterday I found an old well, I plan on trying it out this Saturday.

Interesting looking old well, check it out with a metal detector as well. Those old stones can hide some old goodies. Rick :coffee2:

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Newsman, Tie a small, foam crab pot buoy on to the other end of it. That way if you have to leave the magnet in the water and come back for it later, you can find the end of it again!

Murrell gang

Aug 16, 2011
Jackson , Tenn
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,bounty hunter tracker 4,Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to try this some time soon lots of old ferry crossing around here not far from the house some were used in the civil war or might just find a tackle box or two they are good fishing holes.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few hints.

Get a dollar store tupperware type container that it'll fit in. cut a hole in the top for the bolt to fit through. This saves you a pile of time if you live in an area that has a lot of iron or black sands. Just pop the container off & you've got a clean magnet!

You can take a piece of 1" angle bar and a piece of chain to mount several magnets. side by side.

If you're hunting meteorites you can remove the chain mount it on a frame like the old hand plows to search a large area quickly.

Carry extra rope with you. if you get it stuck, you can move to a different angle to work it loose.

Years back when large magnets were hard to find we used big grapnels either bought from the tackle shop or made from 3/4" rebar.

For you guys on the ocean (Calif) work the piers! Go late when no ones fishing. You should be able to pay for your rig just in tackle & lead. Rods & reels are gravy!

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
airborne1092 said:
@Newsman, Tie a small, foam crab pot buoy on to the other end of it. That way if you have to leave the magnet in the water and come back for it later, you can find the end of it again!

Good idea. Worried about getting it stuck and then having the current capsize me! Add another tackle box to the mix!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another use.
If you hunt the beaches, take your magnet with you to clean out the areas around the fire rings (if any) of all the nails etc from people burning pallets etc. After you've preped the area you'll be amazed how much stuff there is dropped by people around the fire rings you find once all the iron junk is gone. Keep a bucket handy to dump the trash in. My experiences have been real positive with the lifeguards & cops after you show then how many hazardous objects you've removed. Positive relations with the lifeguards is a plus. I've gotten a lot of good scoop from them, since they are the ones that get the hysterical women who lost their ring etc etc.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been thinking of doing some of this. I have a do nut shaped magnet off of a speaker, probably weighs about 5 pounds. I didn't realise I could get a big magnet like the one shown for so cheap!

scott jacobs

Apr 17, 2010
vancouver. wa. brush prairie / hockinson
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX / whites XLT/whites MXT and cobra beach magnet for water detecting.bulleye 2 pinpointer and the Garrett carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bartholomewroberts said:
Been doing this for years now...I live in B.C., and fortunately, our coins are magnetic... so our dimes, nickels, quarters, dollar and two dollar coins are attracted to the magnet.

On my best day, I pulled out over $225.00 in coins using a magnet
you pulled them out of where?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread