what if you find something you werent looking for?

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what if you find something you weren't looking for?

metal detecting in a park the other day ,i always bring my kids so the can play on the swings and stuff (its no problem going md'ing if i have the kids) but anyway my wife came out this day and sat a picnic table and watched.
i noticed something in that grass a distance away so i slowly made my way there to find a brand new badmiten racket and a new pack of birdies :icon_scratch: .
i was at the park for about a half an hour by this time and have not seen anyone so i picked it up and placed it at the picnic table where my wife was and continued md'ing for a couple more hours ..all this time no one came to this park. so i took it home with me i figured since this is usualy a busy park that if i didnt take it someone else would , so i thought my kids could use it, but i feel bad in case the owner would return but it had been quite a while by this time but im sure someone else would have grabbed it if i didnt .
whats your take?

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Re: what if you find something you weren't looking for?

It was planted there and they had a camera on you!

No but seriously, some people were most likely playing, and one of the rackets and some birds got left behind in the grass on accident, they'd figure out the mistake and come back to look for it. Post in lost and found locally, or leave a note that you have it.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II

Stolen from a garden shed or a car and dumped as "unwanted" by the thieves.

dale68

Jan 12, 2009

When i find whatnot(t shirts, sunglasses,sandels etc) and there is no onsite lost and found I leave them on a picnick table in plain sight,so if the owner returns they can possibly get them back.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's

I think Dano's got it right. If someone inadvertently left them there, I'd think they would have been back to get them before SnowDogg left.

Leaving them on an empty table is the polite and proper thing to do, but really you may as well hand them to the first people you meet, they'll most likely get them anyway.

Sky Pilot

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Post it on Craigslist lost and found if you want. Most people I think, unless it's a valuable item, will just get home, notice it's gone and write it off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread