what kind of detector to buy

Capt_Jack

Dec 16, 2007
Wilmington N.C
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 AT/PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was woundering what type of detector to buy,i do a lot of land detecting along with some beach detecting,i like relic,coin and jewlery hunting. i have a garrett 350 but was woundring if there was another brand or type i could buy with a little more power,i' just want to add to arsnoal,

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett AT Pro is a nice step up from 350. Pro mode is great. Holler at me if you have any questions!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you like the water detecting why don't you get a Tesoro for the water and keep your Ace for land for the time being. That way when you want to water hunt you don't have to stop at 2 feet of water you can go up to your neck. Just my two cents......Matt

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I'd highly recommend anything that Dallgire hasn't got! ;D :coffee2:

(The Minelab x-terra range is very good though.)

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dallgire said:
Dano Sverige said:
I'd highly recommend anything that Dallgire hasn't got! ;D :coffee2:

(The Minelab x-terra range is very good though.)

wellll i dont have an AT-Pro soooo youre good there!

That's funny right there!! lol

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Capt.Jack,The Whites M-6 has always been good to me wet or dry.I believe if more people would try this machine,they would be quite surprised!I get along just fine,I would suggest to get several coils,Whites has a nice selection,with coil overlap,just go slow when you hit a good spot.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I really like the depth of detection & ID accuracy at depth on the AT Pro. I was amazed it could correctly ID a dime 7" deep. (Ace 250 IDed dimes to 4" in my soil). It can be used underwater to 10', on beach or any kind of land hunting. No worries if it gets rained on. The 15 kHz frequency gives it exceptional air test on nickel about 15" vs 12" on quarter. Extra detection depth for gold, too.

But you need to spend an extra $85 if you want headphones for underwater.
An adapter costing about $34 is necessary to use other than the Garrett phones. Nothing else about it really annoys me. It also does good detecting tilted coins.

It has that 8.5x11" DD coil that separates good in STD & even better in Pro mode. I like standard for areas that aren't ultra trashy. I got the deeper coins with correct IDs using manual ground balance. The 1st AT Pros many had problems. The improved units have been made since March. Best wishes, George (MN)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Capt_Jack said:
i was woundering what type of detector to buy,i do a lot of land detecting along with some beach detecting,i like relic,coin and jewlery hunting. i have a garrett 350 but was woundring if there was another brand or type i could buy with a little more power,i' just want to add to arsnoal,

Hello Capt! The bottom line is this: When you start getting into saltwater, the price to play starts going up! You can spend $1,500.00 on one Minelab Excallibur (one of the the only VLF machines that will actually get good depth and stability in a saltwater environment) or, you can spend $1,200.00 and get TWO machines - A VLF Tesoro Vaquero for the Dry Sand and land, and a PI (Pulse Induction) Tesoro Sand Shark for wet sand and in the saltwater down to 200' deep.

The Garrett AT Pro is NOT a saltwater machine. It is designed for FRESH water use - period. Do your homework and research. There are folks that bring the AT Pros to the beach. They see maybe - MAYBE, 4" deep in the wet ocean sand - when they aren't falsing. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

I would NEVER trade my VLF and PI units to get one Minelab unit for the beach. One machine that tries to do EVERYTHING, is never as good as a dedicated machine.. Well, that's my opinion. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread