Metal detecting in the DC area (1 hour radius)

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moving to DC in 2 weeks and I was wondering if anyone had any good places to start metal detecting. I am sure the beaches in MD are a good place.. Are there any places inland that are good for metal detecting? There is so much history in that area, so I am sure there is plenty to be found. I know we have to stay on state lands, etc, but I am sure there are tons of places..

Shawn

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I am in Charlottesville, which is about 2 1/2 hours from you, if you're ever in the area, I have some good areas.

doglover

Aug 30, 2011
You could go up to the whitehouse, knock on the front door, and ask Barak or Michelle if it would be alright for you to metal detect the front yard. You know the worst they could do is just tell you no. ;D Just kidding. You'd probably have the body guards and everyone else after you. Lots of places to look at and visit up there. Best of luck.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Behind the John Hanson Montessori School located at 6360 Oxon Hill Road, Oxon Hill, MD.
http://tinyurl.com/3tvka7f zoom in and you'll see
There was a farmhouse located in the southwest quadrant just before the wooded area and the creek, on the outside of the paved track perimeter (which didn't exist back then). When I was a kid about 35 years ago all that remained were some wood planks from an old outbuilding and a small pond, the house was long gone but the depression was still there as well as an old footpath to the creek. It looks as if the pond is dried up completely from the aerial view. We used to call it Miller's Pond back then. There is a rich history in the whole D.C. area. So something such as this old farm house location would be a great area to detect. If I still lived there I would be all over that area and near those woods going towards the creek.

racermon

Greenie
Mar 6, 2011
if its owned by the school its ok , but that close to dc who know what the gvt has hiding in there.
im about 1.5 hour from there. i see the school but the track seems to be at the other school behind there, also the pond deff. has water.
my dad lives in fla keys. reef hunting there is fun.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
racermon said:
if its owned by the school its ok , but that close to dc who know what the gvt has hiding in there.
im about 1.5 hour from there. i see the school but the track seems to be at the other school behind there, also the pond deff. has water.
my dad lives in fla keys. reef hunting there is fun.
When I was a kid there was a trail that led from Oxon Hill Senior H.S. to John Hanson Jr.H.S., it looks as if it's a paved pathway now. The woods in between the 2 schools were where we used to go "exploring" up and down the creek and to the park that is just west of O.H.Sr.H.S. Back then John Hanson was one school, not two, as I guess it is now, your saying?

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do some research on Georgia Avenue. Follow it all the to the PA line. Just a little history there.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
missmetaldetectingdiva said:
I am an hour north of you in Falling Waters,WV at the Maryland line. PM me!! :hello:
Hey, I'm in Martinsburg. Cool to see a local on here.

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather is nice. Let's go metal detecting.... Need to start looking hard at some spots..

So abandoned spots.. If there are no trespassing signs, not on state lands, etc, can we dig as we please?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread