Advice for a beginner please.

narcissus

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2011
Hi, I'd like to compliment you on a great website. I've always dreamed of treasure hunting especially from the ocean. I want to start treasure hunting as a hobby, along the Southeastern Florida beaches. My supply budget is $100 US. Can you please recommend a metal detector and accessories that I would need. Please if you have any other advice for this endeavor I would be forever grateful.
Thank you very much.
Sincerely
Mike Diamond
954-483-6597
[email protected]

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mike, welcome. Sorry to say 100 dollars isn't going to get you very far. Your best bet is to look on e-bay for a used machine. Find a few in your price range then maybe post a few on here for opinions.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't just rush off to ebay though. Ask around here for the best option to use for beach hunting in that price range. On ebay in that range you will end up with a Bounty Hunter if you just go at it with no knowledge. Which can be an ok starting detector, for the most part will not serve you well at the beach. This is from personal experience. I would love to help but my beach experience is limited. So ask around a little more before you waste the limited budget you have. Then go to ebay or ask one of the dealers on here what they have used. A lot of members will take trades of non treaure items so if you have something of value add that to your $100 and end up with a decent detector. Wouldn't take much to get you up to an ACE 250, and I've heard from some they are serviceable at the beach(once again cannot verify from experience.)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Mike! Saltwater detecting runs about $1,000.00 at the entry level. A good sandscoop runs more than $100.00. Hang around and ask questions, research on Bing / Google, and SAVE your money. Read my article, "Beach and Water Detecting 101: Getting Started," here - http://terrysoloman.com/id18.html Good Luck!

narcissus said:
Hi, I'd like to compliment you on a great website. I've always dreamed of treasure hunting especially from the ocean. I want to start treasure hunting as a hobby, along the Southeastern Florida beaches. My supply budget is $100 US. Can you please recommend a metal detector and accessories that I would need. Please if you have any other advice for this endeavor I would be forever grateful.
Thank you very much.
Sincerely
Mike Diamond
954-483-6597
[email protected]

Mortifercain

Aug 11, 2011
indiana
hi mike my name is david i live in indana and I too am new to this hobby. i recently spent some money on craigslist for a junk md and kicked my self for it after a while kicking around this forum i seeing what people had to say and i picked up the phone to call mike post from woodland detectors he has great stock and a very friendly person he also will allow you to place your 100 as a down on a good quality rig and make payments. from speaking to him i think he is not out trying to get rich off people trying to start a new hobby he just wants us all to have good quality metal detectors. i am purchasing a land md so not sure what he can do for you in the water but i would defenetly call him first and ask lots of questions. he has used all these riggs in the field and he does not sugar coat anything. good luck friend.

http://www.woodlanddetectors.com/
Customer Service
Toll-Free: 1-855-966-3563
Mobile: (828) 242-5407

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will need to save a little bit more for a detector. So keep on saving and good luck......Matt

OP
OP
N

narcissus

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2011
How is the Garrett Ace 250, which is the best scoop and other accessories you recommend for beach sand environment.
Thank you.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
narcissus said:
How is the Garrett Ace 250, which is the best scoop and other accessories you recommend for beach sand environment.
Thank you.

The Garrett Ace 250 with a 12" coil is a KILLER in the dry sand! A good wire-mesh, short-handled scoop for dry sand - Good luck, and stay off the wet! :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread