Bum Luck and Fibberjibber...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh Terry,
Whats a few miles and road noise! I've been out in the hills since about mid June and have found a "little" color and not much as compared to last year but then I have been out enjoying myself in the mountains without being bothered by bears. Some of it I even found with my GMT but then hit an area I needed to resort to 49er methods to get any gold out of. Caught a few trout and have seen some nice country so that's worth a lot. The last pack I carried in was way overboard going in and was a bugger getting it out, 5 hours but then I asked for that as well. I either buy a helicopter or learn to leave things out of the pack contents.

Currently expecting to be hired in San Diego by late Oct/early Nov and I'm looking forward to being back at work. So if I complain remind me I really wanted to return to work.

Regards, 63bkpkr

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey 63, VERY good to hear from you.... which means you have not become BEAR FOOD yet! Good! I hope you do well at the San Diego job. I will trade MY leisure time for the Kennedy Space Center job again ANYDAY! I loved it. My bad back equates to continual pain pills so... I can't carry the sub-gun... or the sidearm.... so leasure time forever! .... As long as the RV keeps going... Stay thirsty, my friend. TTC

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Terry,
In a way I lucked out as a couple of years back this area had a sizeable forest fire which has limited the food for bears in this area so the major portion of them have left. I could have carried my .22 kit gun with me this year and would still have never used it as no bears were near me. One ground squirrel was a pest, ate into some food bags, so it had to go.

I'm in Foresthill right now and we've a major storm coming in on us, oh wait it will hit you as well. It will be interesting to see what it actually amounts to especially as on Thursday I'm supposed to meet another friend at his claim near by. I do not feel like hiking in during a storm or out for that matter especially at this time of year.

The San Diego thing will be good for me so I want it to happen. It will also be good for the company if I'm there so I doubly want it to happen. My work should significantly improve the companies outlook to investors, will bring about new medical products that will actually help people and be less expensive than current products and I've a lot of stock in the company so if they sell it well that would also be a good thing for me (that could bring about the building of a cabin somewhere on property that I would own and then there would be the 4x4 rig parked next to the simple fishing boat w/15 to 25 horsepower motor and similar other items for the enjoyment of a simple life, now just where that would be is still in question).

Your back pain is of concern to me as when I'm not in good shape mine acts up but to deal with it all the time does not sound pleasant. Have you ever tried out a magnetic waist belt? Nikken products makes one that I believe in and though it is expensive it does help to bring my back into a more healthy state when I've been bad to it.

My last hike was an indulgence in self torture as I really overdid the weight of the pack, just too many toys with me. Of course all my packs this summer have been heavy as that is just my norm but the last one was way over board. But then as I've been hiking this summer for about 3 months my physical condition has improved and I feel much better than at the start of the summer. Some day I may learn how to pack a light pack but, do not hold your breath.

Take care and continue having fun, 63

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(hey Mike!) 63, activity IS the key to staying fit. But I KNOW you carry in 95-100 pound packs. That's more than self indulgence, thats TORTURE! The cabin.... 4x4.... boat.... is the American dream... but can you sit still? No. Take care. TTC

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not say I would stay at the cabin all the time but then there is wood cutting/splitting, repairs to everything, the garden, woodworking(yes I'm a wood butcher as well), marriage and other things. But in truth I've not returned yet to Sienna Italy so that is a trip from the cabin.

You are of course correct I am a busy fellow and sitting still is not a typical thing for me to do. In fact I've just sent off my proposal to the company in San Diego, now the wait for their answer. I will be very busy in SD so that will be a good thing! However, the Julian area is not far away from the end of SD I will be in so mountain hikes are still very possible.

Enjoy the weather, 63

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not raining yet, 63, at 8PM. But I did go up to the flume bridge...38Deg 9.519N 120 deg 23.025W to see the middle fork of the Stan was already getting rain/snow up at Iceberg/Carson Wilderness at 6PM. Also heard a report the snow will be down to 6000 feet tonight. Stay dry.... stay warm. TTC

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Terry, have suffered from bad lower back pain for many years, so I sympathize with your situation. Last 3 years though I've been a lot better and almost never take pain killers now. Old and very spry lady told me to do ten push ups leaving pelvis on floor first thing every morning, like doing the limbo lying on your front.

Just go as high as you can - it took me two weeks to get my back bent enough to have straight arms but I'm a persistent old coot. Boy was it worth it. The improvement was dramatic and has made me feel ten years younger.

My doctor told me arthritis had got into an old injury site, and surgery wouldn't fix it, might actually make it worse - just take more pills ......

Please give it a try, it has helped many other people too. Nuggy

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Nuggy,
Thanks for the response! I suffer from degenerative disc desease... passed down from my dad. Extra physical activity only makes it worse. As my muscles shrink (called old age) I cannot keep up with the pain. A pound of titanium holds 3 of the lumbar to the s1 (s-i joint). Etc, etc, etc. My biggest daily activity is moving AWAY from the rocking chair! Tnx for your concern. Take care. TTC

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Terry, sorry to hear that your condition is that bad. I guess I've been "lucky" - every time I have given up hope for my own health conditions, something has come along to help me. I can only wish you the same sort of ... "luck" - for want of a better term. All the best Nuggy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread