About knocking on houses...

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
All the time.

Your recovery technique makes a lot of the difference in whether you will gain access or not, at least locally.

doglover

Aug 30, 2011
I won't detect on a well groomed yard. I can't help but believe that if someone has gone the extra mile in work and money to make their yard look nice, the last thing they want is someone digging holes in it. I think you will avoid a lot a problems and rejection by not detecting a yard that looks like a golf course. There are plenty of other places you can detect so why push it? When in doubt leave it alone. Others may say different but that is just my thoughts on this subject.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with doglover. If a person has to opportunity to detect an especially well kept yard, I hope that they have really perfected their retrieval technique so that the spots they dig are near impossible to see.
luvsdux

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
How perfect their lawn is *might* be a minor factor. Bigger factor is if they believe you will be neat. Some people are more trusting than others so whether you get a yes or no will depend on their personality at least as much as yours.

Some people will blow up just for asking if you can detect their yard, even if you offer to give them half. Many are really suspicious & trust no strangers, just want them off their property ASAP. It does take alot of confidence & nerve to ask a stranger if you can dig in their grass to find a few coins. HH, George (MN)

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with some of the others above. While I haven't hunted a ton of private properties, I would DEFINITELY think twice before hunting an impeccably manicured lawn. Let's face it, no matter how careful one is, there's going to be at least some damage done to the grounds. If the homeowner is the type that pays to have a landscaper come in every month, has fancy and/or elaborate shrubbery & flowers and has everything decorated nicely, IMO it's more trouble than it's worth. Even if you were EXTRA careful in digging, It just wouldn't look right to the homeowner when they see sizable holes being dug right in front of them. Fortunately, most people aren't this meticulous with their gardening, so, mostly everywhere else is fair game :thumbsup: Just my two cents.

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, some people will flat out say no. But it has been my experience that the majority say go for it, "just don't leave big holes!" Through the years the majority of old homes I have detected are well manicured. And I have always been invited back.
Some of it may depend on what part of the country you live in.
2bits

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread