CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

fishbone3d

Apr 1, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Whites Prizm III, Bounty Hunter
I feel your pain. There are so many factors in the depth of a coin. I have found old coins almost on top, and 10 or more inches deep. It depends on vegetation decay, soil erosion, even moles and gophers just to mention a few. Tree roots also push coins upwards. Roman coins are found a lot in fields. Fields are disturbed by plowing. For example, I found a barber dime looking right back at me in a cornfield, no detector needed. Also think of arrowhead hunting in the states. Most are thousands of years old. Most are found in fields looking at you. Landscaping is also a factor, I have found memorial pennies over 7 inches deep. That is a bummer, let me tell you. It is all about the environment, and the soil that the coin is dropped in.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Unless your soils are supersaturated, as in quicksand, coins will not go lower in soils. That is myth.

However, over time, coins do become covered with soils.

A soil scientist at Oregon State University told me and others, soils "grow" in Oregon at the rate of about 1 inch per 200 years. So if you've looking at Roman times in England, could be aways down there.

Only apparent alteration to this are earthquakes and soil disturbance, such as plowing/farming, which can both raise and lower (mostly raise) coins toward the surface.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you, Gentlemen. I was under the belief that a coin would continue to "sink" over time, if otherwise undisturbed. The "growing soil" statement makes sense. I guess I'll just dig as far as needed to find one.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They are where you find them. The oldest coins I have dug have actually been the most shallow. Found a capped liberty half cent at less than 2 inches. King George II halfpence at 5 inches. That's just where the detector gods decided to put them.

-Swartzie

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
If you are in an area (as I am) where the ground freezes every winter, frost heave tends to push solid buried items UP towards the surface. That said, I have dug coins as deep as 7 or 8 inches as well, in areas that have been largely undisturbed for decades. :icon_scratch: :dontknow: The effect of frost heave may be dependent on the size or mass / density of the object ? No clue.

Diggem'

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I am sure there are a lot of factors to consider, but here is a basic rule of thumb.

An object will sink until the density of the material surrounding the object equals or exceeds the density of the object.

;D

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ray S ECenFL said:
I am sure there are a lot of factors to consider, but here is a basic rule of thumb.

An object will sink until the density of the material surrounding the object equals or exceeds the density of the object.

;D

Hey, Ray. Not to poke holes in what otherwise sounds logical, but: So why then do rocks keep surfacing in farmers fields that have been under plow for literally hundreds of years ?

Diggem'

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ray S ECenFL said:

;D

I've read an article on that very subject some years back. A coin will sink until it's mass or density matches that of the surrounding soil. Outside factors such as freeze thaw cycle will effect how the coin reacts to it's surrounding environment.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Diggemall said:
Ray S ECenFL said:

;D

Hey, Ray. Not to poke holes in what otherwise sounds logical, but: So why then do rocks keep surfacing in farmers fields that have been under plow for literally hundreds of years ?

Diggem'
That would be the other factors.... ;D

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ray S ECenFL said:
Diggemall said:
Ray S ECenFL said:

;D

Diggem'
That would be the other factors.... ;D

:icon_thumright: ;D

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Excellent question and answers... I have to agree with people who say it's basically up to chance. I mean, within a few yards I've dug soda cans at 9 inches and 1700s coins practically on the surface. Crazy stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread