Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What's the Story on your House

Just curious to see how many people live in a older home and has some history info they would like to share or stories that have been told about it.
I Love the older homes and have actually fixed up two and live in Our third. It's pretty Awesome what can be found while fixing up a home and of course Metal Detecting.

My last home I renovated was a 6 bedroom at 3,000 sq ft, it was built in 1848 by a couple that were freed slaves and was given 600 acres to build the home on. The Home stayed in the family until 1990 when it was willed to a relation that was in the Nascar circuit and they just left it to crumble until I was the given the opportunity to buy it. It was in terrible condition as some would have just dozed it, I spent 10 full months fixing it back up. During the renovation, I discovered 19th Century pictures,buttons,coins,letters and even a Corset that was in a part of the attic that was sealed off in the mid 1800's to add a bedroom. I discovered it when I was making access to blow insulation throughout the attic, which on another discovery was that I found the home had been insulated when built, by using ears of corn and I mean 1,000's of them.
Several things found in the home were behind the four fireplace mantels. a Christmas card dated 1877, a pair of large cents and a corked top bottle of Mercurochrome that had never been opened.

Metal Detecting the property turned into a Storybook of 170 yrs of History ranging from a Henry Clay political token, numerous early 1800's buttons,buckles and relics to Civil War buttons, bullets and several other relics to WW1 relics including a Silver Calvary ring. The coin finds were amazing with over a 100 Silver dug including a Beautiful 1837 Capped bust dime, Seated halfdimes,dimes,quarters and one half dollar. also barbers, standing liberties,shield nickles,e.t.c .
ALOT of stuff was found not mentioned including many bottles and relics.You never know what you might find and it takes alot to hunt out a site.

Bill

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's the Story on your House

Oh sorry, I just had to do that you know!!! The one I live in has no history except the ex-girlfriend owns the house, well, lets just say I won't go there and enough is said!

heat45

Sep 1, 2011
Detroit/Windsor
Primary Interest:
Other

My father knocked down a basement wall of our wine cellar and found over $4000, all circa 1920s and older Canadian bills. Upon further renovations, we found a black and white photo of a guy with no smile and a book about rum-running. I live in Windsor, three blocks from Hiram Walker's (makers of Wiser's, Canadian club, Malibu, Lamb's, etc.). My neighborhood has painted murals on many of the brick walls about how Al-Capone and the Purple Gang's empire ran things; Makes me wonder about the untold local history. It also has me wondering about what will become of my silver and gold stash once I'm dead and gone. My dad actually paid $4000 for the house, so it was kind of free. Too bad my mom ran the ownership into the ground with loans. I will never use credit.

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am living in, and restoring an old house right now. It was built in 1910, and it's a large 2-story house. The original owner was in the Florida Legislature back in the mid 20s. He was also a judge. After I bought my house, I invited the original owners son (born in the house in 1923) to come by and tell us about the history. In the later 20s, he was a judge, and from what his son told me, he came down hard on organized crime. There was a price put on his head in the late 20s, and he told me that there were various guns positioned at different windows. They never got him though.

My house has always been known of as being the haunted house of the neighborhood. I didn't know this when I first bought the place, but after living in this house for 12 years, I can understand why they called it that. :o So far, I haven't completely detected the property, but I have done some detecting in the yard. I found some barbers and various silver coins and items, including 4 silver buttons with the original owners initials on them.

Attachments

• 000_0006.JPG
    000_0006.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 263
OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

heat45 said:
My father knocked down a basement wall of our wine cellar and found over $4000, all circa 1920s and older Canadian bills. Upon further renovations, we found a black and white photo of a guy with no smile and a book about rum-running. I live in Windsor, three blocks from Hiram Walker's (makers of Wiser's, Canadian club, Malibu, Lamb's, etc.). My neighborhood has painted murals on many of the brick walls about how Al-Capone and the Purple Gang's empire ran things; Makes me wonder about the untold local history. It also has me wondering about what will become of my silver and gold stash once I'm dead and gone. My dad actually paid $4000 for the house, so it was kind of free. Too bad my mom ran the ownership into the ground with loans. I will never use credit.

That is very cool, I always figured that I would find a money cache in my home but it never happened. I did find a old rifle box in the rafters of my barn, but it was full of corktop whiskey bottles.

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

bofusmosby said:
I am living in, and restoring an old house right now. It was built in 1910, and it's a large 2-story house. The original owner was in the Florida Legislature back in the mid 20s. He was also a judge. After I bought my house, I invited the original owners son (born in the house in 1923) to come by and tell us about the history.

My house has always been known of as being the haunted house of the neighborhood. I didn't know this when I first bought the place, but after living in this house for 12 years, I can understand why they called it that. :o So far, I haven't completely detected the property, but I have done some detecting in the yard. I found some barbers and various silver coins and items, including 4 silver buttons with the original owners initials on them.

That is very nice to be able to bring in the son and learn about the place with some cool History. My kids always said our place was haunted, but was nothing I ever worried about.

Thanks for Sharing, Bill

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250

mine is a one family owned house my wife and daughter are the 5and 6 generation to live in and grow up in it. the root cellar wall has a date of 1899 i havent found anything to old in the yard yet. but wifes family has been in it back in the 70s-80s with machines they are gold hunters so they probably dug every signal .i have found a few pieces of coustome jewelry from the 50s and a old skeleton key and some of my motherinlaws jacks from when she was a little girl. school is back in and ground is soft gonna hit it with a ace 250 and a whites dfx 300 with 12ingh coil and 5 inch eclipse coil i might clean house this year .

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

olepossum said:
mine is a one family owned house my wife and daughter are the 5and 6 generation to live in and grow up in it. the root cellar wall has a date of 1899 i havent found anything to old in the yard yet. but wifes family has been in it back in the 70s-80s with machines they are gold hunters so they probably dug every signal .i have found a few pieces of coustome jewelry from the 50s and a old skeleton key and some of my motherinlaws jacks from when she was a little girl. school is back in and ground is soft gonna hit it with a ace 250 and a whites dfx 300 with 12ingh coil and 5 inch eclipse coil i might clean house this year .

I hope you the best in Detecting the property, what you found so far is really nice in my book, items like the jacks, jewelry, e.t.c just gives personality to a place. I enjoy finding coins, but the relics of the past is what I enjoy the most.

Thanks fo Sharing

dignhistory

Aug 7, 2011
SE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The home I was raised in was built before Oklahoma was a state. It is located in what use to be Atoka County Indian Territory. I have the abstract back to the original person who was allot ed the 160 acres of land. I would have to look at the abstract to find his name, it has been awhile since I have read it. The first part of the abstract talks about the Dancing Rabbit Creek Treaty so I have names of the people who had the land before me.
The house had four square rooms all the same size with a fireplace that opened up into two of the rooms. When my parents moved there in the late 1960's it still had an outhouse and a great barn and lot in the back of house. The barn burned down in the early 70's. I have just been MD'ing for a little over a month with a used detector and no manual. I have found one on line. So far I have found an ash door and top plate to a cast iron cook stove. The as door had a number on it so I was able to find out what brand it was, when it was built and by who. Also horse tack, oh an lots of nails. Dad did construction work when he was alive.
I am glad to have found that much because it lets me know a little about the place and who lived there. I get a lot of iron signals so I will be digging for a long time. At the back of my place in the corner sets a small forgotten Indian cemetery with only a few stones most unreadable now. I look at one about two weeks ago that had a B on top and below that born Jan 13th 1870. I could not read the other side it was tilted over. I would never dig the cemetery but if I go away out from it would be a place to look for other relics?
My husband told me the other day that all I was going to find was junk, but I told him they are my treasures.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions