what antique items do u have at home that u actually use ?

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
well....the weather is changing for colder and it was time

to put away the old metal kitchen fan for another year.

in doing so i noticed for the first time a patent date

of 1909 on it. wow pretty old. never thought about it.

we got it at a yard sale and it works great.

i knew it was old as the previous owner had obviously

replaced the cord.but over a hundred years old ?

possibly. wow. it was the only one with a heavy enuf

base not to "walk itself" off the counter when on hi speed

we were able to discontinue use of a window a/c

in that room after purchasing it.so it has saved us some

money.

after i thought about it there are a few old things in my

life that i use either everyday or at least semi often

kitchen clock w the mushrooms logo that was

popular in the 70s. burnt orange trimline phone.

like the heavy feel and color.

vintage norelco electric razor with 2 heads. the early one

before they went to 3 heads. been using 8 yrs never need

ed a new blade still shaves fine.i also use antique blow

driers. the ones without the annoying safety garbage.

my power tools are the chrome type that never seem

to wear out.

so got any old stuff u use.

decorative only dont count.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I still shave with a double edge safety razor(I have several) and use an old apple peeler. I sometimes use old cast iron skillets and a dutch oven. I have many older hand tools and still use a hand plane and brace and bit from time to time. Most of my power tools are not ancient but still are made in the US, unlike many today. I have been looking for an older cider press, but most people have a sentimental value attached to them and are plenty proud of them. I also use a large wheel garden layoff plow and an old seed sower. I also have an older hand powered grain grinder and a meat grinder, as well as sausage stuffer. I still use a hand cranked food processor most of the time, as well as a manual can opener. Although I like most of the newer electronic gadgets and devices, I still find it comforting to use older, time tested, made to last, implements and tools passed down to me. It brings back to mind a simpler, more layed back time in which we had time to stop and observe nature and its splendor in its finest hour. Hopefully these things will be passed on to others who can appreciate the wisdom and values of those who came before us. Gone, but not forgotten. Good luck. rockhound

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Old Griswald iron skillets still make the best fried potatoes ever. I also have a grinder that belonged to my grandma (she might have got it from her Mom, not sure) it still works perfect. Made homemade pickle relish with it just this week.

Attachments

• grinder.JPG
    grinder.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 214
OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
i guess quite a few use the old 2 sided razors.

with my norelco electric i guess the floating heads

were made xtra heavy duty early on.

by the time their prduct evolved in to the triple

header, they realised they werent selling enuf

rplacement blades so they made it thinner.

garbage.

most of the other mentions were cooking

related and since my idea of cooking

is microwaving a hot dog ill leave that alone.

yes i do have plenty of older usa hand tools.

chinese sux. if i need anything i will buy

a usa made if i can find one bucuz it will last

longer even at 3x the price

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My hands! (Cool avatar!) TTC

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriend?

My computer?

Kidding, still use the Griswald and Wagner Frying pans, many antique lamps, old ice crushers, pretty much everything in my kitchen.
Carl

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
savant365 said:
Old Griswald iron skillets still make the best fried potatoes ever. I also have a grinder that belonged to my grandma (she might have got it from her Mom, not sure) it still works perfect. Made homemade pickle relish with it just this week.
made ground bologna (baloney)with ours last week. Still ticking! :icon_thumleft:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
ohioaxeman said:
savant365 said:
made ground bologna (baloney)with ours last week. Still ticking! :icon_thumleft:

We call that "ham salad" here :laughing7: If you like to make chili go buy the cheapest pot roast you can and cook it in a pressure cooker with all the seasonings you like then run it through your grinder and use that instead of hamburger for your chili. It will make it really thick so don't drain the beans after you open the can :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread