OP
OP
augusthog

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter big bud pro
I spoke to the owners wife and she told me that they had owned the land for about 25 yrs, not long enuff to know anything about a wreck. She also said that she had a governors backing when it came to the water rights of the place. I guess the city gave her a bunch of grief about animals and other things they were doing. It would still be a fight to get to it. At least now the owners are awhere that someone is interested. Like I stated before, I am in Afghanistan right now, 1/2 way through my contract, and wont be back that way till mid April of next year. I'll talk to them again then. Hopefully do some probing and test digging.
If it IS there...................
I'll announce it here on TN, the local papers, and every metal club in Colorado. I dont think I could finance the removal of such a large object by myself, but I have a few connections in that field that they may "donate" a piece of equipment for the project.
Still trying to research it more.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm, nice project but probably will cost more to recover it than anyone will pay for it. TTC

Oct 23, 2011
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I live in Pueblo CO and we supposedly had one go under in the 1921 flood. Is this the same one?

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....No one has said anything yet......but this sounds like it is an old Steam Locomotive......seems strange that the RR would do Nothing to recover it.......

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
buffalobill_dan said:
I live in Pueblo CO and we supposedly had one go under in the 1921 flood. Is this the same one?

According to the original post this train took a swim in the late 50's early 60's so I would assume it is a different train.

NJ

OP
OP
augusthog

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
buffalobill_dan said:
It's not the Eden train wreck, tho I've searched that place also.
http://www3.gendisasters.com/colorado/5747/eden-train-disaster-aug-1904
And I dont think it was part of the 1921 flood:
http://www3.gendisasters.com/colorado/1723/pueblo,-cloudbursts-cause-terrible-flooding,-june-1921
But it's all good reading and good history. I've been all up and down the Arkansas River and Fountain Creek where they join, got lots of scrap metal, lol.
I think this is a seperate insident. It's north of Pueblo County.

Oct 23, 2011
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It would be nice if you had access to gov GPR to define this object more.

If the RR had insurance and got paid for it, It probably belongs to the insurance company and not the RR.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
If all goes well and you can get permission to recover what ever is buried there, you may have to think about getting some financial backing. Might even make a good tv show. Something like a show called Recovering Americas Past.

Never hurts to think outside the box.

:D

OP
OP
augusthog

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Ray S ECenFL said:
If all goes well and you can get permission to recover what ever is buried there, you may have to think about getting some financial backing. Might even make a good tv show. Something like a show called Recovering Americas Past.

Never hurts to think outside the box.

:D
I like that idea Ray! I think, if it is a locomotive, and it is recoverable, it's gonna be a media event for sure!

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAN, THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!! As a HUGE trainnut, I would love to see this locomotive recovered! Let me know if you dig it up! ;D

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, good luck in Afgan!
As for the train, sounds like the circus train, but since my computer is so slow today, i wont search it. It will cost alot! Doubt there there will be anything like money there, but of course the train might be worth something, depending on if you can find a buyer, first.
Again, best of luck in Afgan.

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Well this intrigued me...
Can't really say until all things are considered---- such as:
Modern Locomotive GE SD50 weights in at about 250 tons. In the 1950's those slick looking aerodynamic rounded front engines were only about 100-120 tons. That would be 224,000 pounds give or take... If the digin is easy and the slope to working ground is manageable I'd expect a wide track D-9 with a good winch would slide it- but might better rent two just in case. Maybe call on the Colorado National Guard for some excercise fun if they want to work out 3 or 4 big 88's just to see if they could. Then- nothings going to make it road worthy- so you either fix it up or scrap it. I know a crew of that could cut it up in about 4 weeks if you supply the crains and flatbeds to haul it.
Two versions- Restoring decent one in good shape I'm sure would still be a complete sand and paint and a lot of fabing- I bet on $120,000 before you remove the asbestos- and it will be full of it. linings of every panel, most of the ceramic insulators, all the breaking dynamos- removal and cleaning that junk at least another $80,000- so a little over $200,000. But- then a museum would love to have it if you offer it for FREE.
Other idea- scrap it. 2 dozers and track hoe for a week $6,000. Crains, trucks, flatbeds for 4 weeks- $7,000. Crew of ....cans $4,000. Cutting tools, gases, rods, and safety and clean-up $12,000. Plus the asbestos removal- $80,000 So if it all goes right and easy- recovery and delivery to scrap- average up cost $110,000 -----but lowest grade scrap iron is about $200 per ton today so minimum potential income is $24,000 but you might get a bit better if its gradeableandthere is a ton of copper in the electric motors. So- there you have a starting point. find ways to bring cost down, figure out the model for an exact asbestos estimate, estimate of tons accurate, and grade up if it's not rotten for more income and you might be able to turn it profitable.
Let us know how it goes.
PEACE.

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
I think it might have been in a Clive Cussler book, but there was once a train that was also lost off a bridge. Somebody went looking for it over 50 years later, but couldn't find it. Turns out the railroad snuck in and secretly removed the train & put it back into service after changing it's ID. (I believe they also collected the insurance on it.) Just a thought of what might have happened to it if you don't find it....

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Had another thought- I did KBR what you're doing in Haiti then Bosnia. In those places when I was there I wanted to buy a mobile crusher and go around paying next to nothing in Gourdes or Deuchmarks for all the shot, burnt and wreaked cars all over the place. Maybe even buy up a few wreaked industrial complexes for scrap --- ship all that to the closest coast, shred it, and contract a ship to haul it to the best price. Mafias were the only obstacle then - if you can manage that and security there- it's a rust colored gold mine with India paying top dollar for scrap right now... Bet I got some Aecom, B&R and Dyncorp friends in the same fence with you there. Be safe.
PEACE

OP
OP
augusthog

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
1more4me said:
Had another thought- I did KBR what you're doing in Haiti then Bosnia. In those places when I was there I wanted to buy a mobile crusher and go around paying next to nothing in Gourdes or Deuchmarks for all the shot, burnt and wreaked cars all over the place. Maybe even buy up a few wreaked industrial complexes for scrap --- ship all that to the closest coast, shred it, and contract a ship to haul it to the best price. Mafias were the only obstacle then - if you can manage that and security there- it's a rust colored gold mine with India paying top dollar for scrap right now... Bet I got some Aecom, B&R and Dyncorp friends in the same fence with you there. Be safe.
PEACE
I might know some of them Dyncor friends, lol.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....1more4me...I think that you are assuming that the sunken locmotive is either an electric model or an old diesel...not sure how much electric wire is in an old steam locomotive??....Also everyone seems to be dwelling on the cost....if this locomotive is going to be recovered ......it needs to be done by a group to help preserve it for the future...and also in preserving it ....I do not think that it needs to be restored to the point that it runs again.....just presentable enough for a Museum...also the costs can be defrayed by public donations ....also there are a lot of train enthusiats that would probably like to get involved in saving an old steam locomotive!!??...Of course until it is dug up....no one seems to really know what it is!!.........JT

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
I was just going on what Augusthog said- "ran off bridge in 50's or 60's". Assuming 19-50's- there weren't many steamers running on main lines even then. Diesel Electric conversion started in the 30's and was nearly comlete by the 50's. In fact, the LAST standard gauge steamer run it's last run for the Grand Trunk Western RR in 1961. There were plenty of steamers left around on narrow gauge, some shortlines and yard switchers---so I guess it depends on the location it was running... In fact, some of the finest are still running in Durango Co, Sante Fe NM, and the Cumbers andToltec.- If you ever get a chance- Ride one of those!!! Set near the front so you smell the smell and feel the engine work.
PEACE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread