Found my First Gun this Morning!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thought I would kill an hour this morning detecting the hill behind my better half's doctor's office, while she had her yearly physical. This is a very historical part of 'Battle Hill,' where the Contenintal Army (under Gen. Washington), kept the British Army - commanded by Gen. Howe, from finishing them off during their long retreat from Long Island. I have found musket balls at this location in the past, and now that the cool weather has knocked down some of the vegitation, I thought I would give it a shot.

Found a lot of old iron, a nice old GEM razor, and my first pistol! Talked to my buddy, who is also a police detective here in town, and I will be showing him the weapon and where I found it tomorrow. I'm not sure there is any real investigatory value in it, but it was a weird find!

Attachments

• Urban2.jpg
    Urban2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 779
  • Urban1.jpg
    Urban1.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 768

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a 25 auto with no clip can you see a mfg. Must of had A wood grip?
cool find

Jonnie

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's neat and creepy at the same time. Sure to be a story behind that one. Gets the imagination going. Nice find!
Sounds like a site with some potential historical finds.

-Swartzie

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are you sure that was in general Washington arsenal.looks to new.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is how we beat red coats hahaha

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies everyone! :notworthy: It is a .22, but unable to determine a serial number, just too far gone. My buddy is a detective here in town, and I had him take a look at it and told him where I found it. He is going to look back into the early 1980s (we estimate its been in the ground 25-30 years), to see if there was anything he can link it to. In the meantime, it resides in my "relic" trunk.

There was no clip in it, and no that piece of rectangular iron is just a piece of iron. Oh, and Ding Dong, remind me to stay outta the woods with you! :laughing7:

heat45

Sep 1, 2011
Detroit/Windsor
Primary Interest:
Other
What you have is called a Sterling .25acp (6.35x16mm), or the identical sister chambered in .22LR. They have been copied by two companies, Guardian and Gisepi. It has been a throw away "Saturday Night Special" for decades. Whoever buried it probably didn't play nice with it. You may have yourself a murder weapon, but rust has probably made that impossible to find out.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, The serial WILL show. If yor friend will have the rust ground away to shiny metal, the serial will still show because the heavy stamping required to imprint it goes further into the metal than just the surface. That is the principal used to regain serials on guns that have had them ground off. TTC

heat45

Sep 1, 2011
Detroit/Windsor
Primary Interest:
Other
TerryC said:
Terry, The serial WILL show. If yor friend will have the rust ground away to shiny metal, the serial will still show because the heavy stamping required to imprint it goes further into the metal than just the surface. That is the principal used to regain serials on guns that have had them ground off. TTC

I saw a crime-lab show where they actually put acid on a filed serial number and used vibration to see the stamped numbers deeper in the steel. I'm probably wrong about this, but I think magnets may have also been applied into the mix somehow.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
shooters in murder cases often pull the clip to have a spare clip for another gun --guns found buried without a clip in place are often "lost on purpose" -- throw away 22's are often used in crimes :wink:

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
I really think this find doesn't connect anyone to be charged with carrying a weapon by any means in any state. I'd say maybe if the gun was lost and still dangerous. The only way thing this could do harm is if you tossed it at someone and they got an infection from the bump and scrap it caused...very cool find even though. I found two in thirty years in Rockford Illinois in a centry old low life park. I even showed them to the park officals and the local patrol cop and although they are interesting finding one like this is not a crime. HH, Woodstock
dingdong said:
Finding a gun is like finding a wallet the person who turns it in is SUSPECT if a crime is involved in NYC Things are different here its not Mayberry...............Beware

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
heat45 said:
What you have is called a Sterling .25acp (6.35x16mm), or the identical sister chambered in .22LR. They have been copied by two companies, Guardian and Gisepi. It has been a throw away "Saturday Night Special" for decades. Whoever buried it probably didn't play nice with it. You may have yourself a murder weapon, but rust has probably made that impossible to find out.

Sterling grip panels use a screw at top and bottom. I'm leaning more towards a Colt 1908 or variation. Notice the frame grip cutout matches perfectly, along with the grip panel screw towards the rear center of the grip, which is still in place in his gun. Also, slide serration count and angle seem to match. Barrel length doesn't really match up, but I haven't had the time to search all the variations of this model, getting late. :)

Edited to add -

Well, now that I look at it closer, the frame cutout doesn't match perfectly and the slim barrel is making me lean towards something Italian.

Colt_1908_32_frame.jpg

heat45

Sep 1, 2011
Detroit/Windsor
Primary Interest:
Other
There's no way it's a .32 (7.65mm) Colt at all. I just recalled there being another company that made copies of them, Valor. This is a very old design that has been copied by many more companies and they slightly altered the layout to avoid patent laws (like Taurus copying the Beretta 92FS). Some of them field strip differently and have the grip screw holes tapped in different places. It could also be one the many copies of the Model 8 by Carl Walther. Either way, it's one cool find and quite the conversation PIECE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions