Looking for info on the best MD for my family and my self

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
One man's trash is another man's treasure.
There is no best detector. What you use is governed by how much you have to invest in it, and what objects you seek.As far as what YOU consider trash, the detector just sees it as a metal object of a certain size. There is no perfect discrimination. Some good is lost with the bad.
Example: some would have tossed this rusty iron block, but I conserved it.

Attachments

• ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 610
  • ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 606

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Campbell, This is a rather big question - but I think if you make a list of criteria that seems
relevant to you and your family - this will help narrow the search , for instance - are we more
likely to be hunting beaches or turf ? what price range seems doable right now $250.-$1000.,
T-net can be very helpful -as there are many knowledgeable people here . keep asking questions
Good luck ! You and your family are in for some fun for sure !!! Argentium.

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are just looking to go coin shooting in parks and other places people gather, I would suggest the Fisher F2. It has great reviews and is a spectacular machine a very affordable price. You do not have to spend hundreds of dollars to enjoy this hobby. I use a $70 bounty hunter VLF and have found over $100 in change, 4 silver dimes, 4 silver rings, and a ton of other awesome relics! This was all in less than two months.

It doesn't matter how expensive a machine is...you must learn to use any metal detector properly to get the most out of it.

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand why you guys don't give the newbies to the point answers...by trash I'm am certain he means foil, aluminum, pull tabs and such, obviously he is new to the hobbie and where do new people go?! Parks. What are parks full of? TRASH! I guess if you consider foil and pull tabs treasure you can have all you want.

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argentium said:
Campbell, This is a rather big question - but I think if you make a list of criteria that seems
relevant to you and your family - this will help narrow the search , for instance - are we more
likely to be hunting beaches or turf ? what price range seems doable right now $250.-$1000.,
T-net can be very helpful -as there are many knowledgeable people here . keep asking questions
Good luck ! You and your family are in for some fun for sure !!! Argentium.
Considering he said CENTRAL Lousiana it would be logical to think turf considering central Lousiana is several hours from the coast...

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are a ton of good detectors around. Unfortunately they all pick up some trash unless you turn up the descrimination way up. Still as you learn a machine you'll hear what's trash, what's good, and what's on the boarder. I'd suggest a Tesoro Compadre or Silver Micromax--both are lightweight, simple to operate, and are great machines.

If you want a meter find a used White's Classic ID.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do yourself a favor, and purchase a Teknetics G2. You wont be sorry. It's light weight, good depth, and outstanding target separation in high trash. Moderately priced too.

Call us if you have any questions.

Toll Free 855-966-3563

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntndig, perhaps a careful reading of my reply to Campbell is in order , my suggestions were
informative and light hearted - please take the snarky attitude somewhere else . Argentium.

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argentium said:
Huntndig, perhaps a careful reading of my reply to Campbell is in order , my suggestions were
informative and light hearted - please take the snarky attitude somewhere else . Argentium.
I apologize.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what's your budget?... $100?... $800?... $1500?...

how long you swining during the day?.... something lighter?

coins?... relics?... gold?....

might get caught in the rain?... need an AT?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntndig, thank you for being gracious ! apology accepted - and kudos for being a gentleman ,
I can see how my reply might have looked as though i was not as forthcoming with info as I could
have been . Blessings ! Argentium.

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argentium said:
Huntndig, thank you for being gracious ! apology accepted - and kudos for being a gentleman ,
I can see how my reply might have looked as though i was not as forthcoming with info as I could
have been . Blessings ! Argentium.
Thanks, you were correct and after rereading I was wrong and I'm never too proud to admit when I'm wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions