In the Treasure Corner - Death of the Dollar Bill?

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
dollar.jpg

If certain members of congress get their way, the one-dollar bill could soon become extinct. There is a serious move afoot to replace the paper dollar with a dollar coin.

Dollar coins have been tried and rejected before. Compared to the Susan B. Anthony dollar, the Ford Edsel was a roaring success.

But this time around, the dollar coin would be forced upon us, because the dollar bill would no longer be made.

And by the way, did George Washington really throw that silver dollar across the Potomac River? You'll hear that story here, too.

Listen at http://thetreasurecorner.com.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we just got a raise...............

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont mind, myself.

More things to find..... and its no longer an FRN note.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Write your Congressman if you support this. Personally I do.

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May be good for detecting...but not so much in your everyday life.

I spent a little time in England, and had to use the 1£ coins for everyday life, eating, shopping, etc. Personally, I did not like them...by the end of the day you usually had half a dozen to a dozen of those rather thick coins in your pocket and they were heavy, bulky, noisy and uncomfortable. I imagine it would be the same result over here. Unless they sized it to be thin and fairly small, but probably not, it will probably be thicker and slightly larger than a quarter...put 6 or 7 half dollars in your front pocket and walk around all day with them...pretty annoying, at least to me. :)

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I herd this story,but the Mint said that they want to get rid of the penny and the dollar coin,because no one is using them.Also the dollar coin can't be used in vending machines. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Produce Guy said:
I herd this story,but the Mint said that they want to get rid of the penny and the dollar coin,because no one is using them.Also the dollar coin can't be used in vending machines. :icon_scratch:

We use a lot of pennies to pay sales tax. As for dollar coins not working in vending machines, I'm sure that if these coins were used by everybody, the vending machine companies would make machines that took them.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Nah, the new machines take credit cards like the new parking meters. Frank

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh pleaseoh please oh please oh pleaseoh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please....

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what happens if you want to get $50 dollars back in ones from the drive through for the strip club? Will the suck tube even go back through the tube to get to you ? And where would strippers put these? Would they have those little change counters like gas attendents in the old days? These should be serious considerations for Congress.

Btw, this is purely hypothetical. I have been to one strip club in my life and only cuz you could walk right into it from the metal bar it was connected to.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in North Idaho about 5 hours south of the British Columbia, Canada border and often visit there. I really like their one and two dollar coins. (loonies and toonies) They are light and small enough to be easily pocketable, distinct enough that a blind person can tell what they are and the folks up there tell me that they have saved their government a good bit of money as they don't have to keep replacing worn out bills. PLUS THEY ARE GREAT FINDS WHEN COIN SHOOTING. I've felt that the Sacajawea dollars and/or the current presidential dollars would be just fine if the paper dollar is taken out of circulation so the public is forced to accept and use them. It would quickly become the standard. And did I mention they are great finds when coin shooting?
BB

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bearbqd said:
So what happens if you want to get $50 dollars back in ones from the drive through for the strip club? Will the suck tube even go back through the tube to get to you ? And where would strippers put these? Would they have those little change counters like gas attendents in the old days? These should be serious considerations for Congress.

Btw, this is purely hypothetical. I have been to one strip club in my life and only cuz you could walk right into it from the metal bar it was connected to.

That's a great point. :laughing7:

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure Bear, me too. Only one in my life lol!

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been saying they should do this for decades.
The attachment to the paper 1 dollar bill is an analogy for many things we do in this country that are supported by little to no logic.

I hope they do this.
Cant wait to find lots of dollar coins in the parks. :headbang:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read once that the lifespan of a $1 bill is something like six months.

A quarter lasts about 25 years.

I know some people don't like the idea of a dollar coin because of the weight, but folks, you're not supposed to leave them in your pocket or in jar. They supposed to spent.

Or dropped so i can find them later.

Yeah, I'd kinda prefer that. ;D

Snarkie

Feb 14, 2011
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just posted in a similar thread, about how a cashier at the grocery store was stumped by a Kennedy half dollar, and had to be told what it was worth and how to cash it.

If we replace our paper dollars with metal ones, these jerks will probably put them in the quarter slots.

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snarkie said:
I just posted in a similar thread, about how a cashier at the grocery store was stumped by a Kennedy half dollar, and had to be told what it was worth and how to cash it.

If we replace our paper dollars with metal ones, these jerks will probably put them in the quarter slots.

True. It will be a difficult change for the idiots and they will complain but in the end they will learn to use their brain, slightly. :laughing7:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dam! I was just getting used to the sounds on my detector on how & what a dollar bill sounds like to dig em! :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread