Old old rope with rings found in Rhode Island tree- what was it used for?

B

Bev

Good morning!
I'm from an area nicked named "Nooseneck Hill". The story goes that there were so many deer in this area that they were snared by using hanging nooses. (Others say it's because of the noose shaped stream nearby also so who knows).
While hunting an old 1700's homestead I saw this hanging rope with iron rings and small ropes attached. Can anyone help to figure out what it was used for? You can see from the branch it's been there a long time. I've also plucked a sample of the rope so I can put it under the microscope to see if it's synthetic or natural which may help date it.
I appreciate your help with this, I'm really curious!

This is a great place- A friend with me found a William III 1757 half penny nearby!

Attachments

• 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 1,338
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,385
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,419
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,641
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 1,622

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like what I would have built as a kid for a rope swing.

It doesn't have to safe... Just fun!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
as a sort of gimbel for skinning out a dead deer * tie rear legs to the rings and pull --up it goes --helps drain the blood out & makes gutting and skinning it a whole lot easier.--being a hunter thats what we do . --you said lots of deer in the area :wink:

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would first like to say, that anyone who would snare a Deer, needed a good --- whooping.

interesting pic, If possible one side broke, I would think a rope swing.

Congrats on the halfpenny, Bill

mr-dig-it

May 23, 2009
I don't think it is a rope swing. It is too close to the tree, anyone swinging on it would smack their head against the trunk. I agree, it is a skinning gambrel.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mr-dig-it said:
I don't think it is a rope swing. It is too close to the tree, anyone swinging on it would smack their head against the trunk. I agree, it is a skinning gambrel.

Ditto! Modern hunter's skinning gambrel. :icon_thumleft:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mr-dig-it said:

I agree too!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Bev, Judging from the multiple small ropes on the ring, I would say the end of a hammock mounting. Also judging from the dead limb, I would say that that rope choked off the sap and killed the limb. Meaning, that rope has been there a very long time. Just my guess, Frank

OP
OP
B

Bev

A skinning Gambrel? I'm not a hunter so this is new to me- I'll have to do some research on that!

Thank you so much for all your help- I was sort of thinking it might be something like that but I just dont have any knowledge!

How long do you think it's been there? Years? Decades? Over a hundred?

OP
OP
B

Bev

Frankn said:
Bev, Judging from the multiple small ropes on the ring, I would say the end of a hammock mounting. Also judging from the dead limb, I would say that that rope choked off the sap and killed the limb. Meaning, that rope has been there a very long time. Just my guess, Frank

I never thought of that either, Frank. If it is imagine how long it's been there based on how high up it is now!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
It's the same height as when it was placed. Limbs don't change height, just diameter. Note the part towards the tree has increased in diameter. Hammock mountings were usally high to account for the long distance sag. Frank

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like that rope is not that old, how old, I dont know. Maybe the rope has been replaced a couple times.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
My best, un-educated guess, is that this rope is not more than a few years old. The end where the rope is frayed looks very clean, it has not been exposed to the weather much.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
judging from how the rope is sunk in the limb I would say it has been there a long time. It looks like an old piece of sisal rope. Frank

OP
OP
B

Bev

LOL I had to look up what "sisal rope" was!
I didnt know that about limb height, I can see how that knowledge could come in handy when hunting around- Thanks!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bev, you have two choices when you get up, learn something new or vegetate. I prefer the former.
Frank

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sisal or hemp rope is made out of plant fibers it will not last very long out in the elements so I doubt if itis very old. :icon_scratch:

Jonnie

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Most sisals were treated with a mild "Tar" chemical for preservation although they are the cheaper product. I use to use it on my crab pots. Hemp has a tendency to smoke. LOL Frank

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
No answers, just supposings. I'm standing under the tree with a length of rope and two Iron rings. I tie one end of the rope to a ring and pitch it over the limb above me..feed the rope down til' I have the ring back. Then pitch it over again, feed it down and add the other ring to it in a single knot. Now it could be used for whatever my need is. Tying a hammock, a horse while im saddling it. some scroundrels' ankles whilst I wup him. These are the supposings. You've come up with
a nice mystery here, Bev. and thats what makes the hunts fun. Oh, isn't a gambrel the metal or wood piece you put though the edible, dead creatures hocks when you string it up for processing.

OP
OP
B

Bev

LOL- nice guesses!

Yeah, that would be worthy of a few different uses! I love a good mystery!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread