First time on this awesome forum!

ChicagoGuy

Greenie
Nov 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everyone, I recently came across this site while searching coil roll hunting on Google. I have a fascination with finding a ton of silver coins as well as early american coins. Lately I've been wanting to get into relic/coin/jewelry(gold/silver) finding thru metal detecting. I was wondering what would be a good cost effective metal detector for that purpose?

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum! This place is a wealth on knowledge. You'll be a coin-roll-huntin' Jedi in no time! Fair warning, the site is almost as addicting as the hobby :)
hh,
-Ox

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Welcome!! I found lots of good stuff with the Garrett Ace 250 and it costs just over $200. good luck!

gylnne

Nov 2, 2011
Edna, Kansas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ChicagoGuy said:
I was wondering what would be a good cost effective metal detector for that purpose?

Welcome to the forum!

That is a question you will get many different answers to. My suggestion is to research on
this forum all the favorite machines of the members who answer this thread. All most every
good detector has been talked about here.:)

Curtis

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! I would say look at tesoros as a good beginners machine

OP
OP
C

ChicagoGuy

Greenie
Nov 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate the warm welcomes :icon_thumright: this site seems very promising. Everyone is very friendly as well as helpful. I'm researching some of the brands that people have been talking about as well as others that i have found through my own research, so far I've singled it out to a few; once i figure out which is the one i'll post again for feedback! thanks a bunch fellow hunters!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well your best bet is to stay with the top brands..... Whites , Tesoro, Minelab , Garrett , & Fisher , Fisher also makes Teknetics........... And of course Bounty Hunter........

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with a Garrett ACE 250 and it was easy to learn!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started many years ago with a Garrett , the went to Whites and for the last few years I have been using a Minelab.

Patience is the key...You can start low end and work your way up to higher end if the hobby is right for you.

But if the hobby is right for you then start at the top end which is a Minelab Etrac . 80% of the hunters in the Chicago area use them.

High end is about learning many things like the machine and places to hunt, researching.

Don't expect the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

It's a hobby to enjoy, despite what ever you find..

Some people think they will get rich doing it. Not many do in Chicago, and if they are they are at it every day.

A lot if the IL people are on the IL forum ChicagoGuy so stop on over and introduce your self too.

WELCOME

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread