Branded!!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Some people are just plane BRANDED. They won't buy anything unless it has big W,G,F,M, etc on the product. I don't mine using those big letters as a guide to quality, but I like to take in the whole picture. I will give you a good example. In Jan.'99 my house burned down, total loss. I was left with nothing but an old '79 MH that was worn out. My son took me to several truck dealers. I wanted a small truck with a high carrying capacity to haul material for building a new home. I really liked the Frontier, but it was $14k after hard bargaining. I went to the Chevy dealers and saw an S10. It looked capable but it was $12k. next we stopped at the Isuzu dealer. I looked at the 8 leftover '98s . I told the dealer they looked like Chevy's. He popped the hood and showed me the GM manufacturing tag. I looked at the one with HD helper springs and a 5 speed stick and ask "How Much". He said $8k. I drove it home, or should I say to my old MH. So you see the Big C cost $4k extra. Frank

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess so. Pretty much a Chevy man myself. That S10 is a good truck, and they seem to run forever. Ford could never make a good transmission, and Chevy couldn't make a good motor that would last. Granted, the 283 was all right and the 327 was good, if you got a good one. Currently, I got the Chevrolet Colorado LT, dual cab, Z71 4x4. Bought it brand new, $30K. Long way from my first car, a 65 Ford that cost me $75. For those of y'all with teenage sons, I would suggest a Dodge truck, as they will stand up to a whole lot of abuse.

oklahomadigger

Greenie
Jul 7, 2011
RGINN said:
I guess so. Pretty much a Chevy man myself. That S10 is a good truck, and they seem to run forever. Ford could never make a good transmission, and Chevy couldn't make a good motor that would last. Granted, the 283 was all right and the 327 was good, if you got a good one. Currently, I got the Chevrolet Colorado LT, dual cab, Z71 4x4. Bought it brand new, $30K. Long way from my first car, a 65 Ford that cost me $75. For those of y'all with teenage sons, I would suggest a Dodge truck, as they will stand up to a whole lot of abuse.

I agree my first truck was an 81 dodge 1/2 to short bed with the slant 6(not for long)With a little backwoods red neck engineering I had that heartless 6 out,and in with a 440 and a 727 tranny and a set 373 gears under the rear,It would pass every thing but a Gas station.I moved from Farmerville La to FT.Worth Tx 320-350 miles and used 46 gallons of gas,now this was when fuel was 91 cents a gallon,NO BIG DEAL.I would not want that truck now NO WAY.But it will handle every thing I could throw at it,We had this old abandoned rd called railroad street that was just as straight as a road could and I had the truck to beat up until I moved.lol

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Actually I started this thread about metal detectors and just used the truck as an example, but what the heck lets have fun. My first car was a '35 ford roadster. I paid $50 for it. Did you ever drive a car with mechanical brakes? They were the first things to go. I once bought a ford 2D turned out it had the interceptor police engine in it, boy did it move. I bought a plane Jane plymouth once. it was what once was called a sleeper. It had the 426 engine in it. When you woke it up, nothing could catch it. The red just faded in the distance. My fastest was a Jag. XK150MC I saw 140 in that one. I ran it in rallies in MD,PA,&VA, I also raced it at Marlboro and I picked up trophies at the drags. They always put me in a class with thunderbirds, no competition. Frank

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. Started out with a White's back in the early 80's and just kept going with White's. They work for me, have been dependable for me, been affordable to me and do what I want em to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :coffee2:

First car for me was an 64 Ford Fairlane. I called it the "Lowrider" cause the shocks were shot. It's now, or was, over the side of Bull Run Mountain in Virginia. Lot of years ago and some crazy (stupid) behavior...lol.

Stuck with Fords for a lot of years...thought they had great motors but somewhere Ford screwed me over with a blown rear-end in a truck that was 3 days out of warrenty and they wouldn't cover. They lost a dedicated customer. Went with Chevy trucks and haven't looked back. Now drive a nice, economical Cavilier. 10 years old and only had to replace the fuel pump in all this time. Not too bad I don't think with 100,000 plus miles.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread