Beginner looking for Metal Detector purchase advice

Skoivu

Nov 20, 2011
Southwest Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, Ive always been interested in looking for things and searching for valuables but now Im just ready to begin actually doing it.

I need advice on which metal detector to purchase.

Im mainly interested in looking for coins and artifacts. I live in Michigan and mostly would be looking on land, although there are a few beaches I would like to try.

Since Im starting at the beginning Im looking for a detector that is easy to use but effective. Id be willing to pay up to 300 dollars if there is a difference in quality and effectiveness.

Please recommend brands and models for me to suggest as a gift idea for christmas. Ill be happy to answer questions if you want more info for the recommendation.

I appreciate any and all help :icon_thumright:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
All of the major brands have beginner detectors. These help people decide if they are serious or not without spending much money. Brands are all competitive in my opinion, most have the same capabilities when comparing costs. Some have different features and work better in different soils. Not knowing how mineralized your soil is, I would guess fairly heavily mineralized, in which case I would recommend a Tesoro. They are good in high iron and mineralized soil. Although any would work, some will work better. Good Luck. rockhound

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most definitely a Tesoro anything... Turn on and go plus a lifetime warranty. I also recommend a Minelab Xterra 305 or 505. Give me a call toll free 7 days if I can help you further.

855-966-3563
Mike

OP
OP
S

Skoivu

Nov 20, 2011
Southwest Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies. Tesoro sounds like a quality brand. If Im gonna do it I might as well get something that works and does a good job.

I have the opportunity to buy a gently used Bounty Hunter Platinum for 200, which seems like a nice deal when they retail for around 600. Do ya think it is too advanced or not as good a product as Tesoro?

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I think most beginners do better with a detector that has a analog interface, easier to relate to, don't have to wade through menus etc. Tesoro would be one good choice. Keep it simple, move up to a more complex machine as you gain experience.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'd probably not be happy with a Bounty Hunter.

New: Tesoro--My primary machine is a Tesoro Sidewinder that I purchased used in '97 or '98. Except for the pin-point button sticking due to sand and dirt getting into it, I've never had any problem with it. It's a nickel finding monster and I've found two gold rings with it. A Micromax Silver would be a nice new machine. Or you can buy one used and still have a great machine.

Garrett Ace 250--I bought one as a back-up unit a few weeks ago. It's a reasonably good machine and one that you should be able to learn fairly quickly. The one thing I don't like about it is the multiple tones.

Fisher's F2--Another popular begineer's machine here. I've never used a Fisher's machine but it gets rave reviews also.

White's--The Coinmaster and Coinmaster Pro are their two begineer's machines and both are under $300. Unfortunately they don't get very good reviews. Which for one of the best companies in the business is rare. Look to the used market for a White's Classic, Classic II, Classic III ID.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Woodland Detectors said:
Most definitely a Tesoro anything... Turn on and go plus a lifetime warranty. I also recommend a Minelab Xterra 305 or 505. Give me a call toll free 7 days if I can help you further.

855-966-3563
Mike

Agreed, Tesoro is the best!

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mzjavert said:
You'd probably not be happy with a Bounty Hunter.

New: Tesoro--My primary machine is a Tesoro Sidewinder that I purchased used in '97 or '98. Except for the pin-point button sticking due to sand and dirt getting into it, I've never had any problem with it. It's a nickel finding monster and I've found two gold rings with it. A Micromax Silver would be a nice new machine. Or you can buy one used and still have a great machine.

Garrett Ace 250--I bought one as a back-up unit a few weeks ago. It's a reasonably good machine and one that you should be able to learn fairly quickly. The one thing I don't like about it is the multiple tones.

Fisher's F2--Another popular begineer's machine here. I've never used a Fisher's machine but it gets rave reviews also.

White's--The Coinmaster and Coinmaster Pro are their two begineer's machines and both are under $300. Unfortunately they don't get very good reviews. Which for one of the best companies in the business is rare. Look to the used market for a White's Classic, Classic II, Classic III ID.

The Bounty Hunter Platinum is a sweet machine. Excellent coin shooter that doesn't brake the bank. Bounty Hunter has really stepped up their game with this machine. Unlike the beep dig Tesoro's it has a large TID display that locks onto coins so your digging a lot less trash.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I agree that the Bounty Hunter platinum is a nice machine. Just stay with the factory programs and learn the basics first. After you have gained some experience with it, then you can experiment with the other options. A larger coil will get you more depth. A smaller coil will find goodies amongst the trash. All can be added later to make a more universal detector in varying ground conditions. I would test any used detector first before buying it, just like when buying a used car. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
S

Skoivu

Nov 20, 2011
Southwest Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wanted to say I appreciate all the responses and it has definately helped me get an idea as to what kind of detector I should get.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread