What Would You Do?

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK my home was built in 1903 and was a coal companies Superintendent Home, and later even a boarding house for many miners who hot bunked the day and night shift... So many people with money has passed this way... Oh yea, my in-laws family has owned and lived here since 1946, so there has been no major landscaping, with exception of a few sidewalks.. Now, I have searched the yard with my Garrett Ace 250 with the two stock coils that came with it... But I was just learning... I would say I learned my detector in Tenn. while working out of town with the railroad... So I have not searched my yard with the EXcellerator EQ2 DD coil.. and I have only dug targets at 4-6 IN. range... I have only dug clad... I have not dug any silver, although I did get a silver target when the ground was frozen and was not able to locate it at the time and have since to find it again.... Does this yard not have any silver? Or was I just way to green to find it? I made my mind up to dig what ever I hit this time, yard be darned... so what would you do to find silver here?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver is very conductive and anyone else that might have detected the yard could have found it even at higher disc levels. Also maybe there wasn't enough activity out in the yard by working people. You need to over lap your sweeps as the coils field is about 2" round at the bottom so you could have missed the silver. Good luck.

OP
OP
relicminer

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeap, I've been thinking about all those "hunted Out" spots and I think a small target like a coin could be missed very easily, I am the only one who has ever detected this property, my father in law has lived here since 1946, and he was very interested in what I found... So far just clad...

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit it again...You have nothing to lose

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
relicminer said:
OK my home was built in 1903 and was a coal companies Superintendent Home, and later even a boarding house for many miners who hot bunked the day and night shift... So many people with money has passed this way... Oh yea, my in-laws family has owned and lived here since 1946, so there has been no major landscaping, with exception of a few sidewalks.. Now, I have searched the yard with my Garrett Ace 250 with the two stock coils that came with it... But I was just learning... I would say I learned my detector in Tenn. while working out of town with the railroad... So I have not searched my yard with the EXcellerator EQ2 DD coil.. and I have only dug targets at 4-6 IN. range... I have only dug clad... I have not dug any silver, although I did get a silver target when the ground was frozen and was not able to locate it at the time and have since to find it again.... Does this yard not have any silver? Or was I just way to green to find it? I made my mind up to dig what ever I hit this time, yard be darned... so what would you do to find silver here?

Go to the northwest corner of the most open part of your yard, and grid that 10'x10' area. there is a Merc dime there waiting for you!

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
If you know where the outhouse was, hunt in front of it and a straight line to the nearest door. Under a clothes line. each side of sidewalks. to start- then general search. Only disc out iron or run zero disc. This may sound odd but I believe(from expierience) when the ground heaves(freezes) and thaws it seems to push deeper objects up shallower. It seems that I find most my older stuff in the spring after the ground thaws and is damp.

OP
OP
relicminer

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On my way out to the Northwest corner, as soon as the ground thaws!! Thanks, guys!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread