I know this will set off a storm, but here goes...

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a creek near my house that flows through an old gold mine. I used to coin and jewelry hunt with the easiest metal detector ever made (in my opinion) which is the Garrett Ace 250. I really want something that I can go after gold, but also be able (without going through hours of screwing around and pulling what's left of my hair out) to recalibrate it or whatever to go looking for "stuff" like I used to hunt (coins, relics, jewelry, stuff). Would a Whites GMT fit the bill, or is it really complicated? What do I need? You are also welcome to hit me on [email protected]
Thank you for any input. My father-in-law has the bug, too but he is physically incapable of hunting (91/bad arthritis), so he wants me to hunt and keep him posted on everything. Holler if you can help me with a choice.

Thanks,
Ramapirate

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whites GMT
Fisher Goldbug II
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq

I have used all three of these machines to find gold nuggets down to the size of a BB, at 7" in depth. All three are serious gold machines. You will be running hot, in ALL METAL, all the time. Gold prospecting - "Nuggetshooting," is the most difficult metal detecting physically. Check out my site http://www.ArizonaGoldAdventures.com and good luck!

Ramapirate said:
I have found a creek near my house that flows through an old gold mine. I used to coin and jewelry hunt with the easiest metal detector ever made (in my opinion) which is the Garrett Ace 250. I really want something that I can go after gold, but also be able (without going through hours of screwing around and pulling what's left of my hair out) to recalibrate it or whatever to go looking for "stuff" like I used to hunt (coins, relics, jewelry, stuff). Would a Whites GMT fit the bill, or is it really complicated? What do I need? You are also welcome to hit me on [email protected]
Thank you for any input. My father-in-law has the bug, too but he is physically incapable of hunting (91/bad arthritis), so he wants me to hunt and keep him posted on everything. Holler if you can help me with a choice.

Thanks,
Ramapirate

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought for sure you were thinking of detecting a cemetary...lol. That always sets off a huge debate.

Sorry but I'm not familiar with the gold detectors but good luck.

NJ

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
buy a gold nugget and test your machine on it you might be surprised with the results. Get a gold machine.

listen to Terry Soloman he know what he is talking about

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might want to take a look at the Teknetics G2 or the Fisher Gold Bug Pro or Gold Bug DP.

They are gold machines that do a great job and relics and according to reports, surprisingly well on coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread