Would you trade your favorite detector for a new one of the same model?

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think so... The one I have has performed and worked perfectly for about 17 years now. I call it my "Time Machine".

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean like getting a divorce !!

Jonnie

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Cool Hand, don't forget that you are 17 yrs older also. AND, the odds are that you could easily out-detect someone with a new super duper detector due to your 'bonding' with your detector.

A few yrs ago I was on a hunt at a 400 acre Boy Scout camp with around 40 guys. The camp started in 1920. One guy had the oldest, electrically taped, beat to &%$ detector, and he found so much silver that it would put any 10 of us to shame for the amount he found. I think it was the Whites 6000 D, not sure though.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
let's trade.

as long as like you said.

same model, brand new.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a tough one. Ultimately I'd have to say no. I once traded in a machine I loved for the next highest model and never had as good of luck even with all the bells and whistles. If it dies and Tesoro no longer has the parts to repair it. I'll hang it on the wall as a trophy.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goose-0 said:
Cool Hand, don't forget that you are 17 yrs older also. AND, the odds are that you could easily out-detect someone with a new super duper detector due to your 'bonding' with your detector.

A few yrs ago I was on a hunt at a 400 acre Boy Scout camp with around 40 guys. The camp started in 1920. One guy had the oldest, electrically taped, beat to &%$ detector, and he found so much silver that it would put any 10 of us to shame for the amount he found. I think it was the Whites 6000 D, not sure though.

Experience can really pay off.

5 years ago I purchased a brand new back up machine (CZ5) identical to my trusty old (CZ6) and compaired deep signals. My old CZ6 would get a hit on a 8 inch deep coin and the new CZ5 could not.
Did the CZ6 wave better quality components on it's P.C. boards? Was the Los Banos manufacturing techniques more in tune with quality 20 years ago as apposed to 5 years ago?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
cool hand and others: While you might *think* that an identical brand and model, 10 or 20 yrs. later, *should* the exact same thing, it is not always the case. I had this rude awakening recently, when I went to replace my 10+ yr. old Koss headphones. I had such good results with my own old pair (crisp sound, etc...) that when it came time to get another pair, I sought out the exact same model #, brand, etc... Imagine my surprise when I plugged in the new pair, and they had a wimpy soft muffled sound! I did some research, and found out that over the years, as the years go on, manufacturers often shop around for comparable components, at cheaper prices. So the internal components may not be exactly the same as those that would have gone in XX years earlier, for instance.

Strange, because you would think that when you buy an electronic gadget, of a particular model, serial #, and so forth, that you would be buying the same thing either now, or next year, or the year after.

So the same logic may apply to metal detectors, where there's oodles of various components that are brought together from all different vendors, sources, etc... Invariably, in the push to be competitive, they might opt for lower cost components, with the thinking that a widget is a widget is a widget. But for our fine-tuned exacting sounds needed, a VERY little difference in quality, can come at a cost of sound, inches of depth, etc....

Another thought: There is a little bit of variance even on individual days, for the units coming off the assembly line. This is less pronounced in recent decades, than it was in the old days, because of automation in the assembly line process. But it used to be more pronounced with some parts hand-assembled and so forth, that some machines simply out-performed others made at the exact same plant and time.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Goose-0 said:

He knew his machine well,worked for him!!!

I consider myself a Jedi master with the 1266X and have been using that machine for 20 years solid.

I'm on my second one but have tried out a few more that my friends own and noticed that each '66 had a slight difference in tone or signal strength.

I would say that the earlier models are a wee bit better than the later models but no two are exactly the same.

Many have said that Fisher should re-issue that machine.

If that did happen, I would never buy one. The current fisher/bounty hunter company isn't capable of rebuilding a legend! :o

Cheers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread