Whites MXT, Fisher F70 or Garrett AT Pro? Looking to upgrade.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got an Ace 250 right now and the machines I listed in the title are the detectors in my price range. I'm looking for somebody that's either had all the machines at some point or has had one of them. Just need some feedback. Been reading up on the F70 and that has had the best reviews that I've personally seen. And a buddy of mine from Tnet let me use the MXT, unfortunately we hunted a couple spots that turned out to be a bust so I didn't get the full feel of what it's capable of. Thanks guys.

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the F70 for the last three years. I added the 11DD coil and am very impressed with its performance. Moving up from an Ace 250 you will find it noisy at first so its best to run it at the default setting for a while until you get use to it. At those settings you won't get monster depth but it will get you deep enough to get into the silver level. As you get more accustomed to to what its telling you you will be able to run it hotter and the depth increases quite a bit. In my midwest soil I have hunted against some expensive machines and it compares very well. If you ever need help with it just ask questions here on the Fisher forum and I will be glad to help.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used the MXT for several years and have been very pleased with it. The accessory coil options make it a very versatile machine. My only complaint is it's a pretty heavy machine compared to many others, but that's because it's built like a tank. It's not the only good choice, but certainly one of them IMHO.
luvsdux

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. The short time I used the MXT my arm was tired...def. heavier than the Ace 250.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I've used all 3 & still have the AT Pro. The Fisher F70 gave off so many noises when I turned it up, & the ID at depth bounced alot. I dug what I thought were probable coin targets. I knew that the ID still bounced through several categories and confidence meter was low on fairly deep coins & deepest I got was a penny at 5.25" & dime at 5".

The MXT is heavier. The MXT ID is usually good here to about 4" on dimes or 5" on quarters. Had a couple of dimes at 6" & 7" on a couple quarters. Used relic mode, items below disc setting low tone & above disc setting high tone. Rather noisy with sens turned up, but when turned below plus range, less noisy, but volume dropped. In coins mode, rejected items weren't silent, hardly broken up with high sensitivity.

AT Pro, at first, no deep coins & I'm disgusted. Then I started using manual ground balance. What a difference! Used super simple standard mode, coins progam, iron totally rejected (40) & sensitivity 7 out of 8.
Very quiet & stable, then a loud beep. A quarter at 4" or so, very tilted. Then another loud beep, high tone every sweep, IDs #80-85 (the dime range) & depth indicator (even #s only, showing 8).

So I dig down 7" in hard, dry, somewhat mineralized dirt & there is a clad dime. Very "smart" detector to ID a dime correctly at that depth. So it has the record for deepest correct ID on dime in my soil. Just tried detectors under $1,000, but even some with expensive Minelabs say the visual ID is bad beyond 7". The dime was found in a park detected 100s of times & probably sat there 20-30+ years.

Most detectors I've tried have good ID to 4"-5" if that & some say why have visual ID when it lies? I used to agree with that. Dig only probable coin targets & get mostly shallow clad. Or dig much trash to get deeper beeps that could be coins. But now, a detector that IDs properly down to 7"+ makes it possible to get more older coins while digging little trash.

So for best ID at depth, simplicity, reasonable weight & quietness, it is my all time favorite. Plus, it can go in water up to 10' deep. Waist deep water is where many rings slip off fingers & not many pulltabs there. I don't want to mislead anyone, so keep in mind this is in my soil.

The AT Pro favors low conductors. Air test std mode 10" dime, 11" 25c, nickel 12", detects most gold besides flakes, if you accept all above iron.

In unmineralized Florida white beach sand, many detectors will do great.
In hard, mineralized dirt, a few will beat most. Best wishes, George (MN)

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the imput! You guys are making it harder! The thing is I will never spend over a grand on a detector unless I hit the lottery. Sometimes I just feel like I'm not finding the good stuff just because I'm not hitting the right areas and it's not my detectors fault. For example a fella I work with found a seated dime and he has one of the cheapest detectors out there. I guess the main thing is I want to dig less trash, which seems impossible with the ace 250 because almost EVERY thing other than iron reads as a coin and it makes you dig everything and all you end up with is a pouch full of cans. For example the other day I was at a ball field and I tell you no lie, almost EVERY single piece of small foil read as a dime or even higher. I don't understand a machine that's supposed to determine whether or not you have foil or a coin can't seem to do it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread