ban on Metal Detecting

Ky Ed

Jan 15, 2010
Louisville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Minelab
ban on Metal Detecting

The first thing I want to address is the statement made By Assist. Parks Director Marty Storch:” We try not to be confrontational. Has something escalated? I don’t know”

I have been approached by parks workers three times before the policy and have been threaten with physical threat of them personally throwing me out with two witnesses with me at the time and with being arrested as well. I have been in contact with the parks Security officer (Mr. Mauney) and was told there was no authority from the parks workers to do so. How can the parks not know there is no confrontation? Are they hiding the facts? There was no law or policy at the time.

Office of Mayor Greg FischerMetro Hall / 4th Floor
527 W. Jefferson St.
Louisville, KY 40202
(502) 574-2003

Michael J. Heitz, AIA – Director of Louisville Metro Parks------------------------------------------------ 502-456-8130

Please call these offices to flood their line since the media has a story about metal detecting. These people are against us totally against us. The story will be aired tonight at 11:00 P.M. 12-02-2012

Marty Storch – Assistant Director 502-456-8176

Please call these numbers and ask to open up the Louiville, ky. City Parks to metal detecting! Thanks Ky. Ed

Storch said they are enforcing Ky. Law. The Kentucky Revised Statute, KRS 164.720 Why did he in part quote it; instead of writing the whole law? Why was the beginning of the law addressing what the law was; left out? (( Entering Rock Shelters)) Are the city parks Archaeological sites? Then if they are, how did the city build and dig and bulldoze and backhoe and put in sewer lines and drainage pipes and buildings without getting the permits from the state? Were they not designed to recreate in and bring the community together and build a unity from all walks of life? Is it legal to leave off part of a law to make it look like we are law breakers? Why was this particular law used anyway?

As used in KRS 164.705 to 164.735, unless the context otherwise requires:

1. “Archaeological site” means any place where articles of value in the scientific study of historic or prehistoric human life and activities may be found, such as mounds, earthworks, forts, mines, burial grounds, graves and village or camp sites of Indians or any aboriginal race or pioneers..

2 “Object of antiquity” means a ruin, monument, relic, bone deposit, artifact or any product of human workmanship of Indians or any aboriginal race or pioneers. “Department” means the Department of Anthropology of the University of Kentucky.

How did all of a sudden the public parks became Archaeological sites?

Storch says”We’re just trying to preserve and protect (our) parks”.

My question is: Who are (we)? What are you preserving them for and who are you protecting them from? Are not the parks for the public? They do not belong to the parks (WE) Department! These parks are used by the public and not to be mandated to; from the (WE). The parks dept. has rules ( Chapter 42 Parks and Cemeteries) for the public use. Why try to place a policy using the KRS 164.720 to suit your personal endeavor to displace people who uses metal detectors? Shame on you!!!

Why did you make a policy and make our children criminals and ruin our tourism to our cities? What is wrong with our children going to a tot lot and find a coin with a metal detector? What is wrong with parents or grandparents taking time to go to the parks and having a family to play together? Shame on you!

The parks dept. has used the statement that we are saving the parks for future generations. Which generation do you give permission to us the parks? My grandfather is passed away. My father is passed away I am now the oldest of my generation and I have a son and a grandson. Pick out one of these as I would like to have the freedom to use (our) parks before I pass on! Shame on you!

Why was the policy put in force anyway?

I will tell you why. Mr. Heitz and I talked on the phone before the policy was put in and I asked what was the real reason for the push to get us out of the parks and his answer was “because of you”. I asked what that meant? Mr. Heitz said “It’s because you went over my head” and went to the Mayor and also went to the State as well” I admitted I had done that. He said because I had done that He was going to put in a policy to stop me. He did that in Feb. 2009 Shame on you Mr. Heitz for using your office for personal reasons! Why don’t you check out” Color Of Office” to see what law you have broken!

The parks have been razed and rebuilt so many times that if there were any relics or antiques it would be a miracle if any have survived the equipment that have been in the parks over the years. Please reconsider your stance against the public.

There is no law in Kentucky or in Kentucky Parks against metal detecting. I stood before the Senate Committee to find out and the Senate committee confirmed that. That is a fact! The public has certain rights for the persuit of happiness and no one has judicail rights to prevent that. Check out “Color of Law” Our rights have been violated by the officials of this cities and you don’t seem to get it!

The public has a right to know !

Eddie Black

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: ban on Metal Detecting

Eddie,

Very well written. I'm glad you guys are on-to-the-fact that they are mis-interpretting the state level law. They think it dis-allows metal detecting on all KY land, because "you might find something of archaeological interest". And you are right: This law is true, but ONLY insofar as poking around on public KY lands that have been designated archaeological sites. I must warn you, that they will probably try to counter this by pointing to the part of the statute which makes very clear that it covers ALL public land (ie.: not just state owned land), all the way down to city and county levels. But if they do that, they are merely missing the context that, YES, sure, "all public land". But only land within those "all public lands" that have been designated archaeological. And to counter this, they may try to say "well ok, but the entire state's public land might contain archaeological artifacts (afterall, as the video says, "we don't know what they might find..."), thus making the entire state a potential for archaeological finds. Your counter to that point is this: If you read through the law, you will find there are protocols for how a site gets to be designated as archaeologically significant (eg.: because something significant was found there, or was known to have occured, and so forth, etc...). Well think of it: If a site has a process of being zoned or designated as such (to receive such a status), then BY LOGICAL IMPLICATION, it was not "archaeologically significant site" BEFORE THAT! doh ::)

Now this is not to say that the city can't simply make their parks off-limits for any other number of reasons (ie.: "simply because we say so", or "because we think you'll bother the butterflys" or whatever). But at least you can put a stop to the nonsense that the entire state of KY is off-limits.

Because if their thinking prevailed, then in reality, that would mean that all public land in KY (and not just Louisville) is off-limits. It would mean only private property in KY can be hunted.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Eddie, I saw you on TV the other day.

We all need to do something or we are going to lose

this freedom along with many others in the long run.

Thanks for fighting the good fight.

I am going to call all of the numbers you provided.

Did you and Dr. Miller find anything the other day when I saw you on 43?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

just another petty local low level pencil pusher on a "power trip" -- trying to bend state and / or federal laws to justify their own private agenda on "no metal detecting in the local ( city / county) parks "-- for the "local bans" to be in accord with the law - THE LAND MUST ALREADY BE A " DESIGNATED FEDERAL OR STATE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE " -- if not the law stated has no valid bearing in this case. --

of course , we metal detectorist understand that one can not metal detect or otherwize "disturb" historically important native american sites as per the law. , that is logical as well as understandible -- but not every speck of public ground is "off limits" ---only offically properly designed areas are. -- to try to ban all "public" areas to metal detecing is not legally or morally correct to do as it infringes upon the publics right to legally enjoy their hobby of metal detecting as they should be able to upon the "publics" land.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

he proving something or running a re-elect?

if he is running a re-elect gimme the name of his opposer.

I'll feed him...

OP
OP
K

Ky Ed

Jan 15, 2010
Louisville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Minelab

Deno said:
Eddie, I saw you on TV the other day.

We all need to do something or we are going to lose

this freedom along with many others in the long run.

Thanks for fighting the good fight.

I am going to call all of the numbers you provided.

Did you and Dr. Miller find anything the other day when I saw you on 43?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread