Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes silver is that soft. In most cases, it's already scratched all to heck. I don't put much value on my dug silver anyway, whether it's a Morgan dollar or an early dated standing lib quarter.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you aren't sensing the sarcasm here, yes silver is that soft. Dirt contains sand. When you rub the dirt off a coins it is just like rubing sandpaper across it.

True, most silver coins aren't going to be affected by the small added scratches but a few can be and if you rub them all then it's too late when you find out you just reduced the value of a key-date coin.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in Enid, I'm sure most will agree with what you said... But today, I think the actual coin collecting market may be shrinking, with the exception of a few coins.. The value will lie in the coins silver/gold content.. Besides, most coins that were laying in the ground for a while will have some sort of erosion/scratches just due to the sand/rocks/pebbles surrounding them.

Like I said a key date would be most critical, then again, anything I dig up is "found money", and I wouldn't be too concerned over it's condition. I know there will be many disagreeing with my assessment,

but I'll bet dollars to donuts no one has ever dug an old coin that is in 'MINT" condition :laughing9:

Believe me, I left out the sarcasm too :thumbsup: :tongue3:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in Enid said:
If you aren't sensing the sarcasm here, yes silver is that soft. Dirt contains sand. When you rub the dirt off a coins it is just like rubing sandpaper across it.

True, most silver coins aren't going to be affected by the small added scratches but a few can be and if you rub them all then it's too late when you find out you just reduced the value of a key-date coin.

When I found this quarter, all I could see through the clump of mud encasing it were one or two stars
and a sharp reeded edge. I wrapped the coin (mud and all) in a wet leaf and put it in a pill container.
When I got home, I ran it under tap water and with a Sable watercolor brush, GENTLY dislodged the
remaining dirt. If I had field-cleaned this coin by rubbing it between my fingers, it would have been a
numismatic disaster. Also, it gave me something to look forward to on the way home :D

Barber 1894.jpg

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watercolor said:
Jason in Enid said:

When I found this quarter, all I could see through the clump of mud encasing it were one or two stars
and a sharp reeded edge. I wrapped the coin (mud and all) in a wet leaf and put it in a pill container.
When I got home, I ran it under tap water and with a Sable watercolor brush, GENTLY dislodged the
remaining dirt. If I had field-cleaned this coin by rubbing it between my fingers, it would have been a
numismatic disaster. Also, it gave me something to look forward to on the way home :D

Awesome piece and awesome handling of it! :thumbsup:

natepen, see my post on your other thread:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,452485.msg3202651.html#msg3202651

illinidigger

Jun 1, 2010
Illinois-St. Louis Metro
Detector(s) used
Explorer Se Pro White's IDX pro
Nothing to be gained from rubbing them, only lost. I'll rub a coin clean if I can make out a date easily and know it is not a key date. I learned early on when I rubbed to death a seated CC half that my son found while digging a privy. Cleaned it with baking soda too when I got home. AU details and not a nick on it but reduced its value by hundreds of dollars. Alot of silver coins come out of the ground in killer condition because they were not circulated long before dropped. Curiousity killed the cat!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing I do when I find a coin is rub it...if you dont want to rub them thats fine...Its your coin, do what you want with it.

Graddick

Sep 17, 2011
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember a few weeks ago some posted an IH cent they had found, cleaned meticulously, and ended up having it graded as XF 45 w/ Detail. That was a great reminder to always drop your finds into your pouch and clean them at home. I got into this hobby through coin collecting so condition is always important. What's the point in digging up something only to damage it immediately after? It's like buying a car and immediately slashing the tires.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Graddick, why bother slashing the tires, the cars value drops nearly 1/2 just leaving the lot :laughing9:

I think some treat coins better than they do people :tongue3: They aren't made of glass and pretty durable from what I recall, and as I mentioned earlier it's found money; more than you started out with :tongue3:

Graddick

Sep 17, 2011
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
They aren't made of glass and pretty durable
Not when I accidentally scratch one with my digger! I can't repeat what I say whenever I do that. Suffice it to say that the first word is "Oh.."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread