New to metal detecting living in Shasta County looking for people detecting here

ncamike

Feb 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am an older person who is just getting into metal detecting. Did some dredging years ago in the surrounding areas. I am totally new to metal detecting and don't know what areas are legal to hunt. Would like to talk to other people in the area detecting.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Mike, Where in Northern Cal? I will be back in Murphys Beginning in March. I am also an old fart... not capable of a full days hunt. I have been detecting for 40 years or so... don't remember what year I started. Let's see a about linking up then... TTC

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There's a CA specific forum, where a bunch of us CA guys post, read, exchange info, brag on finds, etc.... It's the "Kinzli forum". But to get to the main page, you have to sign up. It's easy though: Just pick a name and a password. And it might take some time as the mod's check to make sure applicants are spammers or something.

The Shasta area, as you know, is a sparsely populated end of the state. So I don't know of any persons that far north posting amongst our ranks though. Give it a try and see though.

As for places to hit, you've got a lot of camping sites up there. Start out at ones that aren't necessarily super old. I mean, if they just dated to the 1950s (scout camps, church camps, etc...) to get the feel of it. As long as it's not super pounded, there will at least be clad in them. And if not super pounded, some silver coins :) Once you got the hang of various signals, pinpointing, retrieving, etc... then move on to more difficult types hunting: old ruins, foundations, ghost-townsy type things, etc....

fidel

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi mike I am else new on metal detecting and I don't know places to go, any hands ware the places r in Shasta county?

fidel

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi Tom you said that you have ben detecting for about 40 years I would like to find out places to go any hand about places?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Fidel: when it comes to old coins sites , you're going to have a hard time getting anyone to tell you a "good site " to go to. Most will be tight lipped if they've finally researched out an older productive spot.

But here's a tip: get the book "Historic Spots in California".

Frank Brady

Mar 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry C, With your experience are you interested in showing me some areas that can be metal detected for gold? Old spots that have produced nuggets in the past, even the hard worked ones would be fine. not trying to find your hot spot $50.00 per hour for up to 8 hours

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread