Have you had your site stolen?

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
James ND spent a fair amount of time researching an old ball diamond and found it. It was nothing you would think as being a ball field. We found many coins and a few rings there, and a lot of trade tokens.

We decided to take a new guy in the club to this place to teach him his machine and asked him to keep the place to himself, seemed like a nice guy. The next weekend James and I drove the 150 miles to the field and this guy had 6 other people there that we had never seen befor tearing the place up. Turns out to be his dad and his dads buddies.

We just shook it off and went to the other side and hunted, after a while this guys dad comes over and asks us if we had permission to be there and told us his son found the place and we shouldnt intrude.

We didnt argue and just kept on hunting. Every time one of us doug a target they would come over and want to see what we doug. We just showed them a piece of trash, even when it wasnt. :wink: We just didnt want them around us since James knew where the action was when the field was being used as he had pics from back then. And we were in the area where the picnics were held, and they were in an area that was doug out foe a ditch, this place is right by a road.

They must have got tired of not finding anything and left. We detected this place for a soild month and at the next club meeting we showed our finds and told the guy they were on the wrong side of the field that day. He got po'd and said we were a-holes for not telling them. :laughing9:

He did it to some others in the club and finally nobody trusted him and he left the club.

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You either find a true loyal hunting buddy or you hunt alone. Too many people out for themselves. Nothing against clubs but it seems like they have a few people who are only their to hunt out other peoples spots.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i kept a site secret for 4 years then i shared it with a buddy. At that point i knew alot of people would hunt it by word of mouth. I felt it was ok cause why leave anything behind. If you find a good spot dont tell anyone. By the way it was a WW2 Army airbase. :coffee2:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesson for everybody: don't be like him. Bad, untrustworthy, unethical behaviour. Why did y'all wait for him to 'leave' the club instead of kickin him out? Were you hopin to influence him by example, was he 10 foot tall and bullet proof, or did he provide a noticeable amount of financial support to the club? Bet it was the first reason, right?

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Not really, If I showed someone a good spot to detect and they used that information to get a bunch of other people there I probably would beat the dog shit out of him...or at least want to.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I got a test I run "newbies' thru --a decent but heavily hit spot * -- i take em to it , with the "promise" that they are not to tell others about it --or hunt it without letting me know their headed there without me and they are to show me what they find when hunting it without me ,in the "interest" of me getting to better know the sites "history" better -- if they do as told amd maybe share a spot in return -- I know their "trust worthy" -- if not I know their "not trust worthy" --if not trust worthy --uh no more "good spots" will be forth coming --simple as that --

some folks got "big mouths" and some are just plain old "site stealers" -- "site stealers" often are a bunch of "freinds" that work in a group often "finding out a secert spot from someone esle" then as a group they will all decend upon it , like a pack of vultures picking it clean or near clean -- then its "off to the next "suckers" secert spot "

OP
OP
justanotherbarber

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RGINN said:
Lesson for everybody: don't be like him. Bad, untrustworthy, unethical behaviour. Why did y'all wait for him to 'leave' the club instead of kickin him out? Were you hopin to influence him by example, was he 10 foot tall and bullet proof, or did he provide a noticeable amount of financial support to the club? Bet it was the first reason, right?
He wasnt big or bad, didnt contribute to the club. We just wanted everyone to see how "ethical" he was. He has been around detecting for a while and a lot of people know him. When news about his actions got out, he was a loner again hunting heavy hit parks.

There was a time he tried following us to a spot that a club member mentioned to him that we were getting good stuff. lol

kevkirki

Jul 16, 2011
denver, colorado
Detector(s) used
M6/coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sick coinstriker on him for some MMA action .....cant believe there tried to run you off :angry5:

OP
OP
justanotherbarber

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kevkirki said:
sick coinstriker on him for some MMA action .....cant believe there tried to run you off :angry5:

I know right? We tend to not let things get to us. But yeah pretty much wanted us off the site. It was kinda funny that would see us digging quite often and they werent digging much. Like I said, they were on the wrong side. If they knew how to research they might have done better.

James ND has a centenial book for every town in ND and many for MN and SD. Plus plat maps, old original post cards from the 20's, year books, old news papers, copies of old land abstracs, etc, etc.

And people accuse him of lying? When you spend that much time and money, you are gonna find stuff. Now that I live in AZ he goes alone often because so many in the club dissed him they lose out. Not to mention he doesnt want his hard earned spots taken again.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..yep,and is why I dont post

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all the time

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ask the warden...............

Attachments

• Warden Cool Hand Luke.jpg
    Warden Cool Hand Luke.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 509
  • Warden Cool Hand Luke.jpg
    Warden Cool Hand Luke.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 502

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
7creeks said:
Cool Hand Fluke said:
Ask the warden...............

What movie was that?

You've got to be kidding..? right? You need to go down to Blockbuster, and that's an order!

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the people in metal detecting are just a 'slice of real life' .... mostly good apples, but a few bad ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread