Florida all but eliminating treasure hunting!

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Aquanut
you said a mouthful, and that bill has to be stoped, can you post phone numbers and address of where of we can call or write to help stop this bill,and each of our family members can join and in.
Gary

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, how do we make our voice heard there? I for one will not be going any longer if this law passes. It is the only reason I go. Sand only goes so far for me >:(

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You all are mis-interpretting this. Notice it only applies to " .... any archaeological site ...." The whole state of FL and all beaches there are not an "archaeological site" ! To get such a designation, the location has to individually be declared such, to be such. Read further, and you will see the protocols for having some part of govt. land be declared an "archaeological site". You know, like there has to be some reason, an archie study, etc.... And logic dictates that if a site needs to be declared "archaeologically significant", in order to receive this designation, then .... DUH, it was not an "archaeological site" PRIOR to receiving the designation.

This is the same mistake made often time for KY land, where the same distinction/wording occurs already, and some people made the mistake of thinking that all KY public land was off-limits. It wasn't. Only those lands deemed/designated as "archaeological sites".

Read it carefully in the context I'm saying, and you'll see this is the way it reads. People are getting all caught up too much in the "all public lands..." part, without seeing that it's .... yes .... all public land that HAS BEEN DEEMED AN ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE :read2: (and no, the entire state's public lands have not been designated an archaeological site!!)

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is good news Tom! And here I thought it might be another unnecessary law put on the books for a little more loss of freedom. :BangHead: Thanks for clearing it up!

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
First of all,
Don't pay any attention to Tom. He doesn't understand how it works here in Florida.
Secondly, Follow the thread in the shipwreck Section. You ca get the info on who to contact there.
Thirdly they haveve already passed the bill and it is up for review tomorrow to possibly finalize it.
Here is the only response I got out of noifying all the state senators:

Dear Mr. Redman,

Thanks very much for writing me regarding Senate Bill 868, Archaeological Sites and Specimens, sponsored by Senator Alan Hays (R-Umatilla). I greatly appreciate you writing and sharing with me your views on this legislation.

As you may know, Senate Bill 868 passed unanimously in the Government Oversight and Accountability Senate Committee and is now waiting to be heard in the Budget Subcommittee on Transportation, Tourism, Economic Development, a committee on which I sit. I will certainly keep your views in mind when it comes before this committee.

Again, thanks for writing me. Your comments, criticisms and guidance help me be a better Senator for Northwest Florida.

Respectfully,

Senator Don Gaetz

If you're going to do something, do it today!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see, "Archaeological Sites and Specimens",.........not sure "exactly" what is meant by "specimens"...???? But I saw nothing in the bill to cause me to assume the entire state was going to fall under the context of this law/bill. :dontknow:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
big-scoop, watch out. If you point out too much more of that, someone's gonna say "don't pay any attention to big scoop" to you too :'(

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
big-scoop, watch out. If you point out too much more of that, someone's gonna say "don't pay any attention to big scoop" to you too :'(

I am a bit curious of how "specimens" might possibly be applied/determined "after the fact" and about it's exact definition? :dontknow:

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
The wording could possibly include the entire treasure coast, im sure it will end up twisted to where ever a piece of 8 or other spanish relics have been found will become a site of some historical significants and eventualy be off limits to metal detecting.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anything you find on virtually any beach in Florida that would be considered an "archaeological specimen" is subject to this proposed law. If you take it, you're a criminal.

So much for smaller, less invasive government.

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
One other thing. If the low response I'm seeing here is any indication of this groups attitude. We're screwed.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Anything you find on virtually any beach in Florida that would be considered an "archaeological specimen" is subject to this proposed law. If you take it, you're a criminal.

So much for smaller, less invasive government.

Hey, I'm not ever happy about all these new laws, but hasn't this "archaeological specimen" notion always been pretty much the case? I guess as I read through it I just didn't see anything in the proposed bill that jumped out at me as being a direct threat to the future state of recreational metal detecting on Florida beaches. :dontknow: Not saying the bill shouldn't be protested, it should be, just didn't see a "no more metal detecting in Florida" threat in the bill.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What surprises me the most is that Florida never had any laws protecting Archy sites?
I really thought that I did not detect the old forts and historical places because of a law. Now we find out it was only a rumor!

So then I guess Fla has been unprotected.. Last state in the union to adopt these laws.

On the other hand. If they already had laws against it what is the purpose of this new legislation? Not all government regulations are benevolent.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
bigscoop and dave44, you are both on the same wavelength here:

Bigscoop, you say:

" ......but hasn't this "archaeological specimen" notion always been pretty much the case? "

I think what you are getting at, is this scenario: If even now (or 5 yrs ago, or 10 yrs. ago, or whatever) if ANY Florida hunter had waltzed in to ANY level of govt. office (city, county, state, or fed. administered land) there in FL, and if you'd walked up to the desk-bound clerk, held up an "archaeological specimen" that you found on "their land". And let's say you had asked them this question: "Hi, I found this archaeological specimen, on *your* land. Is it ok if I sell it on ebay for my own personal profit and enjoyment, or does it belong in your museum for all to see and enjoy?"

What do you think they would have said to this question? ::) It's almost as if .... no matter how innocuous and sandbox is, in the entire United States, I bet that if you asked enough questions, with enough key buzzwords, you would already get a "no", even as things are now. So for example: those beaches in FL that you FL guys have *thought* were open game to "take [steal] archaeological specimens from", it merely means you guys did not previously ask permission, with the right vocabulary and mental implications (lest they have not fully understood your question). And the fact that you could detect in front of authorities in the past, merely meant that those authorities simply didn't know better, and no one had asked enough questions.

Now perhaps this current bill DOES actually bring with it more actual enforcement (awareness by busy-body lifeguards or whatever). But the fact remains: it was probably already like this even beforehand, had you asked enough "pressing questions", at any govt. level.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Sounds like word changes make clear that it wasn't and isn't casual beach or park goer hobbyists they were/are after. It is for the "big game" hunters, heavy equipment users, and all such "trove" type recoveries and historically sensitive site stuff they were after.

The removal of the "all land" wording apparently fixes it. And if someone is still skittish, just print this out, and carry it with you, for any busy-body on the beach who still thinks you're snared with your 1960 memorial penny:

http://detectingrights.com/florida-sb868-hb591.php

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave44 said:
Yes, how do we make our voice heard there? I for one will not be going any longer if this law passes. It is the only reason I go. Sand only goes so far for me >:(
Do you really think our voice is heard? Money talks friends, and I think we are screwed unless we get people in office that honestly care about EVERYBODY... Not everybody's money.

My feeling is that the Archies are using their funding to push their agenda, not save history like we do. Just think how much $$$ the government would save if they banned archies and stopped their funding and let us do it for free. But the top guys launder money by giving it to the archies and in turn the archies give it back to them in the form of "contributions" for special favors.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When the first case goes to court and the court makes the interpretation that 'Florida ITSELF is an architectural area' .... then you'll see the writing on the mirror thru all the political smoke n mirrors. And some politician's $$$ campaign contributor will be THing in the name of 'educational', which the politician said is OK....

remember to tell me that I am right... it's a matter of time...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread