What metal is it? Or not?

wylie coyote

Apr 16, 2012
nevada
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got a quick question from a newbie. Was out the other day at an old stamp mill site, and found a gold appearing material in some rocks, but it almost seemed to be silica based the way it reflected (the small thin patches anyway)- but a definite gold color in the light. Ran the GMT over it, and didn't get much of a tone- no zip- but the material was very thin and had a lot of other small pieces, like flecks. Should there be more tone- like a zip even though it's a small bit of material? Would like to know what this might be. Am working on getting lined out on the GMT. Yeah, I know- this would be easier if I knew what I was doing- lol- be patient.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that you found Iron Pyrite. (Fool's gold) I have encountered it with my GMT and more "iron" signal.

OP
OP
W

wylie coyote

Apr 16, 2012
nevada
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That sounds about right. I guess I'll cancel the order on my new truck...lol. Now that I think back, I saw a bunch of that up in Virginia city. That's the way to learn- one thing at a time...now I'm a tiny bit smarter than I was an hour ago. Thanks, ABruce.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Sounds like fools gold as stated above. Want to know how to test it? Fools gold burns, it doesn't melt. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions