How long does rechargeable batteries last per hunt?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For those of you who use rechargeable batteries, how long does rechargeable batteries last on a hunt? I've used them many many years ago and discovered they only lasted about an hour or so and they quickly lost their charge to power my unit. I use 9 volts. If it is cheaper in the long run and if the rechargeable batteries now have longer life, I would consider getting them. Regular alkaline batteries are so expensive now, so it getting to be an expensive hobby as my detector only gets about 20 hours of life out of them. If the rechargeable batteries can last for 6 or 7 hours on a hunt, I'd consider the investment. However, if they only have a couple of hours per hunt, I'd stick with alkaline batteries. Any opinions. Thanks

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know how you are with electronics but if you converted it to run on the 18650 lithium they would last much longer.....except in my 400 lumen flash light they go about 90 mins max on a 18650 battery it does suck alot of juice and its nice and bright

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Thats like asking, how many miles can you get from a gallon. It depends on the brand of batt and the detector. I use the coppertops. They last for days in my XLT. I buy them in packs of 24, or 36 from BJ's. They will last for well over a year shelf life. When the Li, or Lp recharageables come out, I will try them. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reason why I am asking this is because the price of regular alkaline batteries have increased big time. Rechargeable batteries are not cheap either when you make the initial purchase. I checked out a store today and the Energizer rechargeable 9 volt was $17.99!! That was for one and the charger was $25. Maybe I could get it cheaper elsewhere, perhaps online.

But what I am asking is how long on average does your rechargeable batteries last on a hunt?...If they last for 7 or 8 hours then I would consider buying them, but if they only last a couple of hours during one hunt, it would not be worth the money since I'd still have to purchase alkaline batteries when the rechargeable batteries died...So it is a legitimate question...

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get about about 20 hours + with rechargeable AA batts and another thing when I travel I use a solar recharger to charge my rechargeables.

Graddick

Sep 17, 2011
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am continually amazed that any portable electronics, including today's metal detectors, still use 9V and AA batteries. What is this? The 1980s?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Graddick, The 9V & AA are just case sizes used for standardization. The chemistry has been constantly evolving. There are AA Li cells on the market, They last much longer , but they are pricy. When a good rechargeable Li or Lp cell comes on the market at a reasonable price, it will still be a AA cell or a 9V battery. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I have rechargeable C batteries for my Eagle Spectrum and at most I get 5-6 hours on a full charge.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The least rechargable life I get is from pulse machines. Some provide five hours, others six, TDI seven +. All depends on the number of targets your passing over and this is with headphones being used.

VLF detectors give much longer life from smaller battery packs and its possible to get 20 hours plus from many detectors.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The NiMH 9.6V pack in my Explorer is probably 10 years old, and still gives an 8-hr hunt. I bought a second for about $80+ for the longer hunts. Should be good for 8-10 hours. I may put in 400-500 hours a year, so well worth it.

Gregmid40

Mar 20, 2013
Advance, NC.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Fisher 1225,1260,1265,1266,1270X, Garrett Freedom Ace CDC, MP Series MP5 Pro, Garrett Coin Hunter TR Disc. (1978), Mikron NRG-110, De
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am continually amazed that any portable electronics, including today's metal detectors, still use 9V and AA batteries. What is this? The 1980s?

Tell me about it. The battery life expectancy of metal detectors nowadays really sucks. I have just a modest Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and that thing only gets 20 hours on two 9-volts. Then I have a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger and that one gets no better. Man, this hobby is expensive. Then when my detector craps out while I'm hunting, my (novice) friend calls me down saying, 'See I told you so, you didn't listen to me when I told you to get batteries while we were back in town'. So we end up going and getting a ($20.00) 12-pack of Duracells at Battery Plus. Ridiculous. Then we go and only pick up roughly 1.50 in clad coins between us. So irritating. I quit the hobby years ago and this may have been one of the reasons. Don't remember. It's been too long ago. If one has good access to lots of house yards and to quality silver and/or lots and (lots) of clad, then, it would seem to be a lot more rewarding, financially. But don't go to a couple of generic, everyday ballparks and regular parks and expect to find heaps and heaps of coins and/or rings. On your first couple of visits, you should be able to score big but not on subsequent returns until the concentration of collect back up to previous levels.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you really want is a High mAh ((mili amp) the higher the rating the more charge they hold) rating on your rechargeable batteries. Watch out for low 800 mAh AA rechargeables and look for 2500 mAh rating rarely is this rating listed on the package itself and you will have to look through the plastic and read the actual batteries to find this rating I use 2450 mAh rated batteries on all my devices and they out last duracell and energizer Funny part is the lower mAh rated are the same cost as the higher mAh rated ones

So yes they will save you tons of money

Last edited:

jaysismyson

Aug 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason why I am asking this is because the price of regular alkaline batteries have increased big time. Rechargeable batteries are not cheap either when you make the initial purchase. I checked out a store FIFA 13 Coins today and the Energizer rechargeable 9 volt was $17.99!! That was for one and the charger was $25. Maybe I could get it cheaper elsewhere, perhaps online.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason why I am asking this is because the price of regular alkaline batteries have increased big time. Rechargeable batteries are not cheap either when you make the initial purchase. I checked out a store FIFA 13 Coins today and the Energizer rechargeable 9 volt was $17.99!! That was for one and the charger was $25. Maybe I could get it cheaper elsewhere, perhaps online.

WOW that is Outrageous :o there has to be cheaper.

although I Never heard of them till now, Google: Energizer rechargeable 9 volt at soap.

this looks about Half price

http://www.soap.com/subcat=Batterie...rm=energizer 9v rechargeable&noappbanner=true

Last edited:

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Todays rechargeable batteries are much better than they used to be. They are rated "mAh" if I am not mistaken. They literally have different capacities and it DOES matter. Some AA's will last much longer than others. The higher rated ones are a little more expensive. Either way they are way cheaper in the long run.

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
I've gotten 30+ hours on plain old Rayovac AA's in my Ace 250, but I have some Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's that I'm trying next (after I check the manual).
Read some good reviews online about them. They have a great shelf life too. The package I have was bought last year and the expiration date is 2026.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread