Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    May 2012
    Michigan
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer and Lesche digger.
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Need a little help

Hello everyone, I am new to MDing and hoping someone can help me. I currently using a Garrett 250 and I am hunting an old railroad line that ran behind my home. The line was stripped back in the early 70's. The problem I am having is that I get a constant signal in the area my detector just goes crazy down there. The place is full of coal, railroad spikes and plates. What can be done to stop the constant detection I am getting. Different coil, lower the sensitivity? Hope someone can help. Thanks

us
    Apr 2008
    Montana
    Curently the AT pro
    187 times
    Metal Detecting
    railroad would be full of items so you would get a ton of nasty signals. a smaller coil would help.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3344 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yes, a smaller coil and lowered sensitivity will help a lot. First, bump up your discrimination a touch above iron, and lower your sensitivity. Rake off and area say 10-feet x 10-feet, and just slowly grid that area, adjusting your sensitivity and discrimination as you go. Just slow down, rake off the first two-inches of overburden, and enjoy!

us
    May 2012
    Michigan
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer and Lesche digger.
    thanks

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    991 times
    Terry, although good ideas that raking is too much work, especially in any heat.

I don't know how used to the machine you are, but I would suggest hunting a a different area for a while. Try a park, or a lake in your area. There would be less work and more rewards involved

Sponsors