Newbie Needs a lesson on Tuning a Whites Coinmaster 4000D detector

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think JB's detector manual site has the Sears range listed under "older detectors" which will give you all the information you need. If your model is not listed then its no real problem as all this type of detector, whatever the make, had the same method of tuning which is to switch on then turn the tuning knob clockwise whilst holding the pushbutton in. When the threshold level suits you (you should be just able to hear it) then stop turning and release the button. When the detector drifts over time (which is why you set a threshold you can hear, rather than down at the silent level, as the rise or fall in the threshold will warn you that retune is needed) a push of the button will return you to your original setting.

OP
OP
A

atlrob

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think JB's detector manual site has the Sears range listed under "older detectors" which will give you all the information you need. If your model is not listed then its no real problem as all this type of detector, whatever the make, had the same method of tuning which is to switch on then turn the tuning knob clockwise whilst holding the pushbutton in. When the threshold level suits you (you should be just able to hear it) then stop turning and release the button. When the detector drifts over time (which is why you set a threshold you can hear, rather than down at the silent level, as the rise or fall in the threshold will warn you that retune is needed) a push of the button will return you to your original setting.

Thanks Brian,
Tell me what you think, its a old one but everything seems to work just fine and since this hobby is new to me I was planning on using it to learn the ins and outs and hopefully later this year talk it to the beach in Fla
Any suggests ????

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read up as much as you can on your machine and get to know it.. Practice often, that's the best advice I have

I'm sure you've heard practice makes perfect too. Then again if no one is perfect why bothering practicing :dontknow::laughing7:

Most importantly, just have fun :headbang:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Thanks Brian,
Tell me what you think, its a old one but everything seems to work just fine and since this hobby is new to me I was planning on using it to learn the ins and outs and hopefully later this year talk it to the beach in Fla
Any suggests ????

That's a vlf/tr machine, circa mid to late 1970s. You might do ok in the dry sand ..... and even on the wet if you "ride the knob" in all-metal, and know what you're doing ..... but you're going to be woefully left behind if you're trying to compete with today's machines. That's a veritable dinasour, made obsolete with the introduction of the motion discriminator days of the later '70s and into the '80s.

And when you ask for info on tuning and operating, bear in mind that entire manuals were written up to tell people how to operate them. So in essence, you're asking for the entire manual, unless you can be specific about a certain question or whatever. You'll have to just get the manual, which Brian tells about, and then, if any further questions, ask.

OP
OP
A

atlrob

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read up as much as you can on your machine and get to know it.. Practice often, that's the best advice I have

I'm sure you've heard practice makes perfect too. Then again if no one is perfect why bothering practicing :dontknow::laughing7:

Most importantly, just have fun :headbang:

Thanks for the info, you guys are a great help !!!

OP
OP
A

atlrob

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I know it's very old but hey gotta learn :-) I am sure down the road I will be updating for sure but for now I plan on using it, thanks for all your help

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shouldn't worry to much. Most have more modern detectors but also sweep at the wrong speed or height. Apply to much discrimination etc. If your going to venture on the wet sand don't forget that the discrimination knob is in effect the ground balance control so increase it to where small foil is starting to be discriminated out and that will balance out the wet salt. The problem you will have is that you won't be able to be as sloppy in detecting style as those with motion machines. You will need to tune out the salt with your coil at the height your going to detect at and then maintain that coil height rather strictly.
Best of luck !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread