Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ok....So it's OK to build on a historic site but not Detect it?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2009
    1906 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    While I share the sentiment that most express about hitting it as soon as the earthwork starts, that typically isn't possible. The majority of large construction sites are fenced, gated and guarded all night. Most jobsite formen won't let us hunt due to liability, so we can only dream about the items being ripped out in the name of progress where archies would have us jailed for daring to hunt the day before.

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid
    While I share the sentiment that most express about hitting it as soon as the earthwork starts, that typically isn't possible. The majority of large construction sites are fenced, gated and guarded all night. Most jobsite formen won't let us hunt due to liability, so we can only dream about the items being ripped out in the name of progress where archies would have us jailed for daring to hunt the day before.
    I think this is one of those places where any thing found belongs in a museum.

I don't think any construction will take place there.

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    991 times
    Jason, that's why you should enroll in my ninja metal detecting class. Act now and the 1st month is $9.99, that is a 60% saving over the normal price. Remember, if they can't see you, you don't exist

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus53
    Jason, that's why you should enroll in my ninja metal detecting class. Act now and the 1st month is $9.99, that is a 60% saving over the normal price. Remember, if they can't see you, you don't exist

Man you just ain't right. LOL

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    991 times
    ticm, you are probably familiar with the old expression; If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS. I am a master in that arena and you'd be surprised how many will bend over backwards to make you happy.

I will also be so bold to make the following statement. I am by far probably one of the worst at this hobby, but I guarantee I have the most fun
    cti4sw likes this.

us
    Jan 2007
    Northen New Mexico
    don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
    56 times
    Metal Detecting
    Name:  ninja_black2.png
Views: 121
Size:  13.0 KBcan you see me
    I took the road less traveled------------------- and now I'm lost
    The secret to a long life ....................... make sure the sailor at the helm can't swim

us
    Feb 2012
    God's Country
    Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
    233 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Per my experience of having worked in construction for most of the last decade, when construction starts they are not going to allow anyone in there who is not an employee of the contractors working. I observed over the years many people being chased off job sites by job superintendents or security. Construction site theft is horrible around here, and much of it happens in the middle of the day when people just wander onto sites and carry stuff off. After hours they will most likely have security watching the place.

Now if you are friends with someone high up with the customer or general contractor, or actually work for one for he contractors on the job, you might be able to get in. Otherwise, they will run you off due to security or safety reasons. OSHA doesn't like a lot of people wandering around construction site who aren't suppose to be there.

Hope someone can get in there and clean that ground out before its developed. Bet there are some nice relics out there!

us
    NJ

Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
    103 times
    Metal Detecting
    There maybe a documentary filmed very soon about this exact location and the threats related to it. If so they will include the work that has been done by detectorists.

NJ

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by N.J.THer
    There maybe a documentary filmed very soon about this exact location and the threats related to it. If so they will include the work that has been done by detectorists.

NJ

That would be something I would like to see. I am sure there will be no construction there. Well I hope not. Hey with all the hippie types who live in Princeton I bet a good protest could be organized if they tried to build there.

us
    Oct 2007
    Pascagoula Ms.
    minelab exp.
    33 times
    Nola you should try & hunt the old hospital /new construction - New Orleans ----- heard many cool finds being made by workers!!!!!!

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    815 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RELICDUDE07 View Post
    Nola you should try & hunt the old hospital /new construction - New Orleans ----- heard many cool finds being made by workers!!!!!!
    I got down there a bit early last year, now it's fenced off and the whole area is buried under at least three feet of fill. We found a few keepers there, and some nice bottles, but anything that was left is pretty much gone forever now.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

Charter Member
    us
    WP

May 2012
    3400 times
    Y,all are nuts,NOLA. Time and again you apply logic and wisdom. I,m humbled. Development happens, hard to dodge change. Don,t want to fight (o.k. maybe a little)but i would rather compromise where relics end up than lose them. Its been done before where progress overruns history,get detectorists in there to recover whats going to be lost or damaged.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    579 times
    I don't know if this site will be built on or not, but here's the skinny on this property as a construction site:

It would be hard enough to get on a normal construction site, but the job sup on this job would no doubt be briefed on the history, and all it would take to shut the job down for a long time (maybe forever) is for some metal detectorist to find something. As in no paychecks, and expensive archeological delays.

You would have no chance to get on.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2012
    NJ
    Whites
    658 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Since you guys are so familiar about Princeton battle field I was wandering if the creek on Princeton pike is part of the park I've always wanted to stop at the bridge and detect the area but just didn't have the nuts.

us
    Feb 2012
    Minelab SE Pro 18" Excelerator Coil Minelab CTX 3030 06 Smart Coil 17 Smart Coil Garret Propointer
    205 times
    Relic Hunting
    I have gotten permission to detect at courthouses, churches, and houses on the national historic register before. I'd say you can. I haven't had any problems. Most people who work at these courthouses and churches don't even know the buildings are on the national historic register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors