Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ok....So it's OK to build on a historic site but not Detect it?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #21
    us
    Jan 2007
    Northen New Mexico
    don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
    472
    55 times
    Metal Detecting
    Name:  ninja_black2.png
Views: 117
Size:  13.0 KBcan you see me
    I took the road less traveled------------------- and now I'm lost
    The secret to a long life ....................... make sure the sailor at the helm can't swim

  2. # ADS
    Ads

    TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

  3. #22
    us
    Feb 2012
    God's Country
    Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
    222
    109 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Per my experience of having worked in construction for most of the last decade, when construction starts they are not going to allow anyone in there who is not an employee of the contractors working. I observed over the years many people being chased off job sites by job superintendents or security. Construction site theft is horrible around here, and much of it happens in the middle of the day when people just wander onto sites and carry stuff off. After hours they will most likely have security watching the place.

    Now if you are friends with someone high up with the customer or general contractor, or actually work for one for he contractors on the job, you might be able to get in. Otherwise, they will run you off due to security or safety reasons. OSHA doesn't like a lot of people wandering around construction site who aren't suppose to be there.

    Hope someone can get in there and clean that ground out before its developed. Bet there are some nice relics out there!

  4. #23
    us
    NJ

    Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000
    3,214
    90 times
    Metal Detecting
    There maybe a documentary filmed very soon about this exact location and the threats related to it. If so they will include the work that has been done by detectorists.

    NJ

  5. #24
    us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    3,212
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by N.J.THer
    There maybe a documentary filmed very soon about this exact location and the threats related to it. If so they will include the work that has been done by detectorists.

    NJ

    That would be something I would like to see. I am sure there will be no construction there. Well I hope not. Hey with all the hippie types who live in Princeton I bet a good protest could be organized if they tried to build there.

  6. #25
    us
    Oct 2007
    Pascagoula Ms.
    minelab exp.
    2,127
    22 times
    Nola you should try & hunt the old hospital /new construction - New Orleans ----- heard many cool finds being made by workers!!!!!!

  7. #26
    us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

    Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    2,746
    617 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by RELICDUDE07 View Post
    Nola you should try & hunt the old hospital /new construction - New Orleans ----- heard many cool finds being made by workers!!!!!!
    I got down there a bit early last year, now it's fenced off and the whole area is buried under at least three feet of fill. We found a few keepers there, and some nice bottles, but anything that was left is pretty much gone forever now.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

    Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

  8. #27
    Charter Member
    us
    May 2012
    3,502
    2065 times
    Y,all are nuts,NOLA. Time and again you apply logic and wisdom. I,m humbled. Development happens, hard to dodge change. Don,t want to fight (o.k. maybe a little)but i would rather compromise where relics end up than lose them. Its been done before where progress overruns history,get detectorists in there to recover whats going to be lost or damaged.

  9. #28
    us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    2,737
    520 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I don't know if this site will be built on or not, but here's the skinny on this property as a construction site:

    It would be hard enough to get on a normal construction site, but the job sup on this job would no doubt be briefed on the history, and all it would take to shut the job down for a long time (maybe forever) is for some metal detectorist to find something. As in no paychecks, and expensive archeological delays.

    You would have no chance to get on.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

    "You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

  10. #29
    Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2012
    NJ
    Whites
    1,310
    629 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Since you guys are so familiar about Princeton battle field I was wandering if the creek on Princeton pike is part of the park I've always wanted to stop at the bridge and detect the area but just didn't have the nuts.

  11. #30
    us
    Feb 2012
    Minelab SE Pro 18" Excelerator Coil Minelab CTX 3030 06 Smart Coil 17 Smart Coil Garret Propointer
    478
    139 times
    Relic Hunting
    I have gotten permission to detect at courthouses, churches, and houses on the national historic register before. I'd say you can. I haven't had any problems. Most people who work at these courthouses and churches don't even know the buildings are on the national historic register.

  12. #31
    us
    Feb 2012
    Minelab SE Pro 18" Excelerator Coil Minelab CTX 3030 06 Smart Coil 17 Smart Coil Garret Propointer
    478
    139 times
    Relic Hunting
    However, historic sites in national parks are off limits, as far as I know (most civil war battlefields). State parks' rules are determined by the state.

  13. #32
    us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    3,212
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flyadive
    Since you guys are so familiar about Princeton battle field I was wandering if the creek on Princeton pike is part of the park I've always wanted to stop at the bridge and detect the area but just didn't have the nuts.
    You can detect there as long as no one calls the cops. LOL. Ever deal with Princeton cops. They make Barney seem sensible.

  14. #33
    us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    10,507
    990 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy S View Post
    Per my experience of having worked in construction for most of the last decade, when construction starts they are not going to allow anyone in there who is not an employee of the contractors working. I observed over the years many people being chased off job sites by job superintendents or security. Construction site theft is horrible around here, and much of it happens in the middle of the day when people just wander onto sites and carry stuff off. After hours they will most likely have security watching the place.

    Hope someone can get in there and clean that ground out before its developed. Bet there are some nice relics out there!

    Jeremy, This is all covered in the third installment of my "ninja metal detecting class". A true ninja is invisible to the normal eye and yet in plain sight How do I manage such a feat It's simple mon ami, I already own a hardhat and a vest and I just roam the ground and blend in with the rest of the workers. There's only a few spots left and $9.99 for 4 classes is a steal in my book... My other book "Crime Doesn't Pay, Capice"

  15. #34
    us
    Anita

    Apr 2012
    New Hampshire
    V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster
    1,128
    323 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Is this the park on Rt 33 that you are talking about? My Mom lived in Concordia for many years and I used to drive by the park on 33 going to the Freehold Mall and a Chinese Restaurant (can't remember the name, but is on the same side of the road as the park and at the merge of 33 and business 33). Remembered the park as being really nice. Last time I was down, I noticed new a 55+ complex right near it. Haven't been back to NJ since we moved Mom up to New Hampshire in 2010.

  16. #35
    us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    3,212
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AC1955
    Is this the park on Rt 33 that you are talking about? My Mom lived in Concordia for many years and I used to drive by the park on 33 going to the Freehold Mall and a Chinese Restaurant (can't remember the name, but is on the same side of the road as the park and at the merge of 33 and business 33). Remembered the park as being really nice. Last time I was down, I noticed new a 55+ complex right near it. Haven't been back to NJ since we moved Mom up to New Hampshire in 2010.

    No this place is in Princeton. It's a historic battle field. Lots of people fought and died there.

  17. #36
    us
    Anita

    Apr 2012
    New Hampshire
    V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster
    1,128
    323 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thanks for the clarification.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan 03, 2011, 11:14 PM
  2. Odd historic type site, should I do it?
    By relichunters in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Jan 28, 2009, 06:16 PM
  3. Signs of an historic site
    By deepskyal in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 06, 2008, 07:11 PM
  4. My historic site
    By bootybay in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Dec 19, 2007, 08:30 AM
  5. Jacksonville Historic Site
    By Mortgage Man in forum Florida
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Apr 20, 2007, 04:34 AM

Search tags for this page

can you metal detect batsto village

,

cna you metal detect batsto villiage

,
finding metal treasure batsto nj
,
metal detecting in batsto nj
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3