I need help photographing coins
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

writer6193

I need help photographing coins

I need help photographing coins. I have a Toshiba PDR 4300 digital camera, but don't know how to make clear macro photos of my coins. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

us
    May 2006
    Mesa, AZ
    None
    296 times
    Prospecting

Re: I need help photographing coins

Have you tried in auto mode? If that doesn't work, set it to manual mode. You might have to take a picture from a little further back than you'd think. My Sony doesn't take good pictures when it's right on the coin, even with the "close up" option turned on. I checked yours, and it doesn't have a close up option.
    Sincerely,
    Randy Wright
    History Lover

us
    Sep 2006
    N.W.A.
    Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
    18 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I had the same problem, try backing out and then cropping and zooming the photo way down. The best option I have found so far is to use a scanner.
    I noticed that no-one really utilizes all the signature space provided, so I figured to be REALLY original I would make up the longest signature that I could and probably just leave it as one big run on sentence because all that punctuation just takes up way too much space-HH.

bk
    us
    Seeker of Fortune

Jan 2005
    SE Minnesota
    Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
    62 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Try using a tripod and see if that helps.

Oct 2006
    Madison, Wisconsin
    7 times

Depends on your camera but Tiffen makes Macro Lenses that can be attached to the outside of your current lens. These will magnify the object ( they are usually sold in sets of 3). Check em out http://www.tiffen.com/digital_lenses.htm

§§ J.J. §§

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3991 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I have a Canon 110 and I have the same trouble even though I have a macro setting. I too use a scanner as it works every time.

Sandman
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

May 2005
    55 times

W,

try finding bigger coins
    And ditto what everyone else said.

have a good un..........
    In the academies many books, at the circus many sacks of peanuts, at the club rooms many cigar butts.

Sep 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    38 times

There is a photography section on here on TNET. Covers the basics. Check it out:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...55&board=309.0

"When all else fails...read the manual!"

Minelab Exp II, Whites DFX, Whites Classic III(former Tejon, CoinStrike & Quattro user)

us
    Aug 2005
    NH
    19 times

Try turning out the lights in the room. That helps me alot when I am photographing jewelry pieces I've made. The flash is just enough for my HP digital. But, actually I don't have very good luck; I ussually wind up scanning. No macro setting on my camera
    Good luck. Trail and error...
    When you get into a tight place and everything goes against
    you till it seems you could not hold on a minute longer,
    never give up then for that is just the place and time that
    the tide will turn.

Harriet Beecher Stowe

us
    Fortune Favors the BOLD, while Karma Favors the Wise!

Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    7250 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by djui5
    Have you tried in auto mode? If that doesn't work, set it to manual mode. You might have to take a picture from a little further back than you'd think. My Sony doesn't take good pictures when it's right on the coin, even with the "close up" option turned on. I checked yours, and it doesn't have a close up option.

Come on Randy,

You didn't check the manual far enough in!

You DO have a Macro Mode, but it's not where you would expect to find it! You have to go to the FOCUS MODE. Macro is under that. Go to page 59 of the owner's manual for more specific instructions. If you don't have the manual, just Google "Toshiba PDR 4300 Manual"

The closest you can get is 10 centimeters (4 inches).

Best,

Mike
    "You wouldn't like me when I'm mad, because I back up my rage with hard facts and logic!" - The Credible Hulk

"Where do they teach you to post like this? In some Panama City "Sailor wanna hump-hump" bar, or is it getaway day and your last shot at whiskey? Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here."

............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

us
    May 2006
    Mesa, AZ
    None
    296 times
    Prospecting

I didn't look hard enough to find the manual. Figured the owner would have one...you know.

Sincerely,
    Randy Wright
    History Lover

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links