Custom Built Plugger

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
So, I had the day off work and decided to build a prototype turf plugger. I found a stainless tube with an inside diameter of 3.75" from a paint pigment measuring/mixing tube. Cut up some HDPE plastic for the handles and held it all together with some 1" aluminum channel. It has an overall draw of 14.75".

Overall it took about four hours and I only used a drill, a jigsaw and a rasp to build it, total cost for the tube and the 3/8 rod with collar clamps and the plastic was about $25, had the aluminum channel left over from another project.

HH

JW

Attachments

• plugger.jpg
    plugger.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 431

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty good work there. Here's the one I have.

Attachments

• plugcring.jpg
    plugcring.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 424
OP
OP
JW

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
Went to BigRec in golden Gate Park last night and gave the plugger its first real field test.

Plugged between 15-20 holes. The initial plug for the hole is the hardest to eject from the plugger, takes a bit of upper body weight to get it out.

I have to say I started digging a few more signals that I wouldn't have dug without the plugger. With two pulls I could get down 10" no problem, plugs fit neatly and easily back into the hole and tamp down without more than just standing on them.

All in all I dug 30% more holes than if I just had my trowel, only had one plug that need a bit of force to get it back back into the hole (85% of the plugs I pull at BigRec need some stomping to get them back down). I have yet to clean and inspect the plastic parts but they were rock solid the whole way through the hunt. The cutter edge was as good as it needed to be and better than I expected.

Overall it was a bit tall but being that this design was for plugging without needing to do any other trowel work the length was just about as long as it could be without causing any issues. Even though I wasn't trying to destroy it, I wasn't being easy on it either, using this plastic as structural parts is really a new idea for me so I wanted to abuse it as much as possible without destroying it. Its pretty tough stuff!

Next I have to add a hole so I can drag it around on a string, it was causing some interference unless I held it behind me.

Did manage a 1908 Barber dime at a solid 9" at around the center of the field. It was the only target that did the Explorer bounce.

HH

JW

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Maybe if you countersink the pointy nut on the push rod beneeth the surface
so you could use two hands then push the plunger with your knee?

Maybe even use an old rubber hockey puck so it's not so tough on the knee too.

Attachments

• plugend.jpg
    plugend.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 313
OP
OP
JW

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
You have to use the plunger on the surface of the grass, its too much force to pull against the knee.

I would have countersunk the top part but the collar clamp has a hex nut on the side of the collar that has to be accessed to tighten it down.

In the future I may tap the top of the plunger rod so I can screw a bolt directly into the rod itself.

Thanks for peeking and the graphic WG!

HH

JW

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
"You have to use the plunger on the surface of the grass, its too much force to pull against the knee"

Kripes, i got a visual of jumping on it like a Pogo stick to get it to release. :)
I have not tried one yet. I did not realise they could be so tough to eject the plug sometimes.

Maybe the next step is hydraulics? ;D

OP
OP
JW

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
No jumping required yet...
I was all the upper body weight I had and I weigh about 200 lbs...
My friend who used it for a bit and who is lighter than I was pounding it up and down to get the first plug out.
I guess it is pretty common for the initial plug to be a bit tough to eject.

It was however way easier than digging a plug and hole with a long handled trowel...

I was thinking of trying some type of lever before the hydraulic assist mechanism was installed... ;)

Have a good one WG!

Jim

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe lube it up with vegtable oil for that first plug
wd 40 etc will kill the grass
just tossing that frisbee out there .......... ;)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it would work pretty good in sandy or loam type soil. Around here we have clay that is rock hard after a long drought. I got to carrying a short handled ball peen hammer with me just to drive my digging tool through the first 2" or so! Also, due to the drought the bermuda grass has deep roots like a tree! Darndest thing I've ever seen. Anyone know where I can buy a rotary drilling rig pretty cheap? All kidding aside, last time out I had to forego several good looking (sounding) targets at 6" just because my handheld digging tool wouldn't penetrate the soil that deep. Monty

Kale1

Nov 2, 2006
I have a idea of using a caulking gun with a piece of galvanized pipe attached to it.If this thing works I'll try and post a picture of it for all to see,if interested. ::)

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
those first plugs are toughies. Ive found when I use my plugger it is best to take a short plug3-4 inches then go for a bigger one. Makes it a lot easier to get out than going for a great big plug at first. Really like the length on that thing,my only complaint with mine is the length of the plug(about 6 inches),wish mine were a little wider as well,its tough getting the dirt out of the hole when you miss your pinpoint.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread