Strange idea for locating gold .... using chickens

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
We are new to raising chickens, but i have let our chickens go freeranging in the backyard and garden area each day for the past week, and i was amazed at how many tiny bits of trash, foil, and other foreign matter those chickens have uncovered in just a few days, especially since we keep a very clean yard with no trash in it, (or so i thought), but those chickens have come across and uncovered well over a hundred pieces of tiny and shiny items. Apparently chickens must have some incredible eyesight.
So i got to thinking while i was going along picking up these previously hidden bits of plastic and foil, that were now on the surface of the ground.... i wonder ??? .... if given chickens natural attraction and abilities of locating and uncovering "tiny and shiny", if perhaps a few chickens may be good to take along on gold prospecting trips.
They probably would not do so well picking and scratching in the tailings of a hard rock mining area, but in areas or creekbeds known for having placer gold deposits i think those chickens may be good little helpers for locating and uncovering gold flakes (they don't eat the non food items they uncover), so the trick would be to just go along in the area after them to pick up what they have uncovered.
Anyone got any thoughts on this weird idea of possibly using chickens to locate or uncover gold ?.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky you having "cleaner chickens"! My chix only find bugs, eat weeds and just do general maintenance on my property! Wish I could train them to dig a bit deeper...:laughing1: Maybe your chix can come visit mine and teach them how to dig??

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought about training a dog to sniff out buried treasure. Pretty sure I could do it if I really really wanted too, but I don't want to so throw me a bone. Besides how many complaints?

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of an e-bay auction that I missed out on.

I don't know how I stumbled upon it, but it was listed something like this......

" Chicken coop treasure jewelry cache."

It was hard to figure out but according to the seller, their chickens uncovered a cache of jewelry in the coop. There was 20 to 30 rings and many of them looked like gold and silver.

It was one of those auctions that the scrap gold and silver crowd didn't know about and went for $20. I wasn't able to bid on the last day.:crybaby2:

I wonder if it was true that their chickens uncovered the hoard?

Cheers,
Dave.

j.n.

Dec 31, 2007
phoenix az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there have been stories of small nuggets being found in the craws of chicken raised in placer areas. They stored these nuggets to help grind up here food so their stomachs could digest it. This could well be a true tale.

j.n.

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
j.n. said:
there have been stories of small nuggets being found in the craws of chicken raised in placer areas. They stored these nuggets to help grind up here food so their stomachs could digest it. This could well be a true tale.

j.n.

I grew up with chickens and it is true. They eat small stones to help grind food. When we would butcher the birds we would find hundreds of my BB's they would pick up on there gizzards. So I think it would work of you put them in a pen in the area you wanted them and feed them every so often. It would take awhile and you would need to butcher them after awhile but it really would be a waste and if it works they would pay for themselves. Screw it I would buy two birds and try it if you have the place

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What everyone is saying is that the chix will eat the gold because it's gravel sized and in with other gravel. Even though it is shiny they won't discriminate due to the size of the flakes. You then will have to butcher the bird and cut into the crop/gizzard to retrieve the gold flakes. NOT a pleasant job. The slaughtering is okay, but retrieving anything from crop/gizzard stinks to holy hell. Nasty! If you have someone "professionally" slaughter, you will not get the gizzards or crop, so gold would be lost. More work than it's worth. I'd stick to the tried and true methods of gold hunting. JMHO.

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but after a year of having the chickens i can honestly say that they sure do make great little treasure hunters !!!. I still cannot believe the amount and types of items they have uncovered, although nothing of great value they have uncovered more than a dozen coins (the oldest being a 1919 wheat penny), a childs toy ring, a few tools, a head from a splitting maul, a couple of hotwheels cars, and thousands of other pieces of assorted glass, ceramic, metal and plastic toys, trash, and other junk. But the funniest thing was when i actually saw one of the chickens dig something up from under my kids tree swing, and i tried to get it away from her but she wasn't giving it up, so i wound up chasing a chicken around the yard that had a small childs bubble blowing pipe stickingout of her beak, I thought my wife was going to die laughing at me chasing a chicken with a toy pipe hanging out of it's mouth.

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
whites v3i ,mxt pro, idx pro garretts pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
all my chickens do is get into the cow feed and sit by the grain bin after i grind feed! i wouldn't butcher those birds of yours thats for sure!

62dold

Jan 13, 2013
kentucky
Detector(s) used
white, bounty hunter, white tresure ray,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like the idea of chickens finding gold, but don't slaughter them untill they are rich. Just take your M D and see if it sounds off .----------then fried chicken!

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
........actually "urban legends",about them killing chickens and opening the gizzards to get the gold out...its not out of the realm of possibility given the countless stories about nuggets bein picked up off the top of the ground...especially on the roads after rains

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This stories is for the birds

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i can tell you from first hand experience chickens as well as geese are as bad as goats .where as the chickens are not as bad as a goose , they will swallow anything small rock sized or shape to help grind there food. geese on the other hand i have actually pulled sparkplugs out of their craw. if they can swallow it they will..lol

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That reminds me of ......

What's BIG and RED and eats ROCKS?

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't take this wrong, but if gold nuggets are on or near the surface would not a metal detector be better than a flock of chickens? How do you keep those chickens on the area that you want searched? Chicken wire fence that is moved around from one gravel deposit to the next?

I do love the novel idea though. Creative thinking.

By the way my avatar is not a chicken or chicken hawk. Just a common West Virginia mothman.

M

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What everyone is saying is that the chix will eat the gold because it's gravel sized and in with other gravel. Even though it is shiny they won't discriminate due to the size of the flakes. You then will have to butcher the bird and cut into the crop/gizzard to retrieve the gold flakes. NOT a pleasant job. The slaughtering is okay, but retrieving anything from crop/gizzard stinks to holy hell. Nasty! If you have someone "professionally" slaughter, you will not get the gizzards or crop, so gold would be lost. More work than it's worth. I'd stick to the tried and true methods of gold hunting. JMHO.

If you think that's nasty, dip the chickens in boiling water (done when plucking).

I clean crops out all the time (hunting ducks, pheasants, and geese), and it's no big deal. I don't do chickens though. You can buy one cleaned for peanuts.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread