Can someone make a generic sticky for those of us who are totally new?

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just some basic tips to know before going out hunting... I know I got pretty discouraged my first few hunts until I got very lucky with my bell... but not everyone is that lucky. Here's about 10 basic things I've picked up, both from experience and from TNet:

1. (Old) surface garbage is a good sign that the area hasn't been searched before. Remove the garbage, and the goodies will start appearing :coins:

2. Rain softens the ground and makes it easier to dig :hourglass:

3. Research is a hunter's best tool for relic and numismatic hunting. Just because it's a field or woods today doesn't mean it was a century ago :tag_blue:

4. Going out early in the morning helps to beat the heat, but more importantly, keeps you out of the public eye :metaldetector:

5. Good hunting ethics supports the hobby for everyone. Get permission where necessary, and leave as little trace of your presence as possible :award_star_gold_1:

6. Post ALL your non-obviously-garbage finds. You could be wrong about its identity, but more importantly, you'll help a fellow amateur identify their finds :icon_scratch:

7. Copper, silver, and brass sound a higher tone than gold and nickel on most detectors. Iron and aluminum read staticky in most discrimination settings. You will rarely, if ever, fully distinguish large masses of junk or soda cans from strong hits; might as well get used to it :BangHead:

8. Do yourself a favor and watch out for poisonous plants like poison ivy, oak, or sumac :exclamation:

9. By the same token, watch out for poisonous animals, like snakes and spiders, especially near creeks and rivers :exclamation:

10. Finally, REMEMBER WHERE YOU FOUND IT!! It's probably not the only thing there to find :headbang:

Please add to this if you can think of anything I missed...

EDIT: something else that would be handy is a guide on how to clean stuff off (like corrosion and dirt) without ruining the value...just saying...

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
We all have good and bad days. You feel let down on the bad days and uplifted on the good days. Yes even the most experienced TH. The thing is the experienced TH has more good days because he,or she has learned to evaluate locations.
There is really one rule," Experience is the best teacher"! Funny face-flower.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions