Treasure Hunting, Global Warming, and the New CPR

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

This chart shows average North American temperatures for the past century, with the heavy line showing the rise since 1975. Let the politicians argue why - what concerns us is how to handle the changes.

As heat becomes oppressive, treasure hunting can become dangerous. So this is the perfect time to know that CPR rules have changed. It's a lot easier now - no breathing into the mouth of the victim, no switching activities while you work to save a life. Just chest compressions.

This show explains how you can give CPR without taking a course, and without carrying an instruction sheet in your wallet.

So invest less than three minutes to save a life. Listen to this show.

Please.

Listen at In the Corner with Dan Hughes (treasure).

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, I'm disappointed, for once you have a topic I can't knock :sad10: So here's to you :occasion14:

I guess I'll just have to wait a few weeks to try again :laughing7:

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Dan, I'm disappointed, for once you have a topic I can't knock :sad10: So here's to you :occasion14:

I guess I'll just have to wait a few weeks to try again :laughing7:

I've thought about doing a show knocking New Jersey, but I'm afraid you might agree with that too.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of CPR...did you know that the rate of compressions per minute can be counted very easily? For those of us of a "certain age", we just need to sing along with either of these songs: "Stayin' Alive" or "Another One Bites the Dust". Take your pick of song, both work to maintain the proper compression rate. Taught this by a paramedic in Boston, MA, who teaches CPR for healthcare providers. I know this sounds weird, but it does work. Hopefully you will never have to find out if it truly does. :love2:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here's a little first aid tidbit if you think that you're having a heart attack, sort of a self administered CPR. Of course call 911, but cough very violently, like you're trying to dislodge phlegm.. Keep up a steady and constant cough until help arrives. Most people don't know this, so feel free to pass it around, it could save a life, especially your own :icon_thumleft:

Now that I've done my good deed for the day, I can revert to my normal self :laughing7:

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Speaking of CPR...did you know that the rate of compressions per minute can be counted very easily? For those of us of a "certain age", we just need to sing along with either of these songs: "Stayin' Alive" or "Another One Bites the Dust". Take your pick of song, both work to maintain the proper compression rate.

Aha! You didn't listen to the show! (I talk about using Stayin' Alive in the program.)

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Well here's a little first aid tidbit if you think that you're having a heart attack, sort of a self administered CPR. Of course call 911, but cough very violently, like you're trying to dislodge phlegm.. Keep up a steady and constant cough until help arrives. Most people don't know this, so feel free to pass it around, it could save a life, especially your own :icon_thumleft:

Now that I've done my good deed for the day, I can revert to my normal self :laughing7:

Spartacus, the coughing thing is an urban legend, and in fact will likely do more harm than good. Check it out:

snopes.com: Cough CPR
Cough CPR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I did listen....just wanted to add "Another One Bites the Dust" for those of us with "warped" personalities....I'm a former EMT with a streak of black humor. No offense to anyone! Hope none is taken.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, if you read the whole article you may see that it may help in some cases. Anyway, as I see it, having 1/2 a shot is better than no shot at all :laughing7: Besides, I don't think Snopes is always right, but it does make entertaining reading :tongue3:

RotGrub

Jun 13, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on, don't drink the kool-aid. There is no global warming... The CPR issue is valid, just leave out the enviro-terrorist talking points...

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
What does CPR have to do with heat? Absolutely nothing. You should instead focus on preventing and treating heat stroke and heat exhaustion.

However, CPR is a good and easy skill to know. You should also keep in mind that it is only ever used in the event of ventricular fibrillation or a myocardial infarction or other type of cardiac arrest. The purpose being to manually circulate oxygen to the brain to reduce the risk of brain damage until advanced medical care can be obtained.

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
What does CPR have to do with heat? Absolutely nothing.

Allen, I did find this reference - is it not true? I'm no doctor (even though the Air Force made me a medic for four years):

"[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The first indications of dehydration observed are heat cramps, which may be followed by heat exhaustion and heat stroke. The body tries to lose heat through increased sweating and too much sweating leads to dehydration, which reduces the volume of blood. This makes the heart pump harder to circulate the reduced amount of blood around the body, which can induce a heart attack."[/FONT]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread