Metal detecting while on a cruise vacation?

trhunter1

Oct 28, 2007
St Joseph County, MI
Detector(s) used
Eagle Spectrum II / ETrac / Excalibur II

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took my detector on a 3 day island cruise. It was ok back in '95. I was just uncomfortable when going through the declaration process with Caribbean customs. When he said I would have to split my finds with him.... he wasn't smiling.... I think he meant it! I found a pair of Gargoyle sunglasses and about an inch and a half of gold-plated watch band. And a bunch of pineapples (carribean coins). Best to check first. TTC

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Next year my wife and I will celebrate our 30 wedding anniversary and we are thinking about taking a cruise in the Caribbean. I am wondering if anyone has taken their metal detectors on a cruise? My wife and I both enjoy detecting and would love to try our luck on an island. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

HH, TR

Might as well do that. Doubt you'll be doing anything too romantic after 30 years...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cruising with your bride of 30 years AND your metal detector sounds like the perfect love triangle.
You may wish to check with your cruise line staff regarding laws and successful MD locations at your various destinations.
Don....

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most places are fine for beach hunting. Diving is different with most islands having some regulations against wreck diving. Modern finds are no problem but there's regulations against taking old items out of each country. If you came up with pirate gold then its better to be honest and declare it. Rewards are paid.

Where you might have problems is with the cruise line. Many now have rules that ban detectors though they are not all ways enforced. What they don't like is machines like my TDI with its lithium ion batteries because as with the airlines there's been explosions/fires in the past. In the Mediterranean the problem is you get grabbed by the police miss your boat which causes trouble for the cruise line as they have to keep track of the number of passengers on board.

Either contact the cruise line and ask or check the small print. Even if they say no you can still take your detector as many have and they will either pay no attention and you can have a days detecting or if there's a jobsworth they will not let you off with your machine or at worse will remove it from your keeping until the end of the cruise when it will be returned to you.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my detector on a 3 day island cruise. It was ok back in '95. I was just uncomfortable when going through the declaration process with Caribbean customs. When he said I would have to split my finds with him.... he wasn't smiling.... I think he meant it! I found a pair of Gargoyle sunglasses and about an inch and a half of gold-plated watch band. And a bunch of pineapples (carribean coins). Best to check first. TTC

I would have gladly loved to have seen that particular customs agent on my way out. I would show him the glasses, snap them in 2 and give him a lens and part of the frame, along with the band and 1/2 of the most probably worthless coins.

Then again, that's just me. :laughing7: I have no problem with authority :tongue3:

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send me a PM. I can put you in touch with someone who goes to the Caribbean 2-3 times per year to detect.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have gladly loved to have seen that particular customs agent on my way out. I would show him the glasses, snap them in 2 and give him a lens and part of the frame, along with the band and 1/2 of the most probably worthless coins.

Then again, that's just me. :laughing7: I have no problem with authority :tongue3:
I'll tell you, Spart, what I did with the glasses. I went to the Bahamas. One of the female (Bahamian) tour hostesses told me, with my wife sitting next to me (I was married then) that she would do anything... ANYTHING... for the glasses! OOPS! I just gave them to her.... no charge. They were the 85s anyway. TTC

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, that's exactly why I'm single now :tongue3: ... Opportunity knocks, I answer :laughing7:

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is your first or 10th cruise, leave the detector at home and spend all the time with your wife doing things you don't do at home. If you think you will miss it that much just take a pull tab along with you. If you get the itch just take the pull tab out of your pocket and say "oh yeah" then look at your wife and say "OH YEAH".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread