Lebanon county pa

boone42305

Greenie
Jun 6, 2012
Was wondering if anyone has done any panning for gold in Lebanon county Pa. I don't want anyone to think I'm gonna steal there spot or step on there toes. I just want the chance to say I experienced it and possibly find a flake. Sorry if I sound cocky but I seen some replies to people just asking for advise. I'm not into this to make enemies or make it rich that's why I work. I am just interested in the thrill and enjoyment of the outdoors! If anyone could shoot me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Maybe even tag along with someone on there adventures.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are stories that the Swatara creek has gold in it, but I didn't have any luck.
the one time I Tried.

FYI it is illegal to pan in Swatara state Park even with a Metal detecting permit,
so don't try there like I did :tongue3: (for the record, I didn't do it after I found out it wasn't allowed)

good Luck !

Last edited:

RushinPA

Mar 11, 2010
Gardners, PA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, F-75
Look for the village of Gold Mine, off of 443 that would be the logical spot, wooded, small mountain stream, don't be afraid of snakes though. Hunted it years ago with MD no luck.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for the village of Gold Mine, off of 443 that would be the logical spot, wooded, small mountain stream, don't be afraid of snakes though. Hunted it years ago with MD no luck.

FYI Gold Mine is State Game land, it is illegal to remove anything from PA State Gameland
except Game during Hunting season.

and remember: Don't remove trash from state game land either !
IF they tell you that it's OK to remove trash,
make sure it's OK to remove Buried Trash
you find with your detector also.

also Gold mine was not named for any Gold there.
The story I read, a con woman who originally owned a large portion of land
there created the story to get buyers.

either way yes there is a possibility of flakes being found in those creeks also.
(Stoney Creek)
but I Wouldn't travel into the woods (State Game Land) to look.
I'm not sure how far off the road you can travel before you are considered off
Pendot property & on State game land.

the creeks near the Iron mines would be good stating points, as gold was a Bi-product

also somewhere either South east Lebanon County
or South Western Berks
possibly cornwall area there was a gold mine, (or may have been Iron Mine that produced
enough gold to consider the iron the bi-product.)
that was closed perminitely
in 72 after Hurricane Agnes flooded it

These maps mark the mine and prospect locations, on Google Maps, of mines in the
Mineral Resources Data System

MRDS that mentions the word "gold" in any of their COMMODITIES, and/or in the ORE field.

http://www.freegoldmaps.com/

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
boone42305

boone42305

Greenie
Jun 6, 2012
Thanks for the info I know Cornwall mined iron than switched to gold, the gold was there main profits. Also for Stoney, I did metal detect there not knowing it was illegal at the time. I just wanted daddy/ daughter time and thought she would like it and just get out of the city. I did find some non metallic chunks of metal that I'm not sure what they are. Also I found a little piece of that broke off of something ( no clue what it could be) that has a spoon shape with the initials MDI

OP
OP
boone42305

boone42305

Greenie
Jun 6, 2012
Sorry for any confusion with the non metallic I meant non magnetic chunks of metal.

OP
OP
boone42305

boone42305

Greenie
Jun 6, 2012
I just checked out a little creek today that runs right outside the old miners village! I'm gonna give it a try this week. They say the iron furnace collected over 67,000 oz. of gold up till it flooded.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread